Sign in to follow this  
Katmthompson

Getting Started with the MH 721

I am new to cutting and just set up the MH 721. I downloaded the free version of Signcut because the signcut package was out of stock (is this a decent software program for plotters?).

I can't get anything to cut but the test. When I press Cutout in Signcut the cutter flashes yellow showing it is online but then does nothing. Actually it only does this the first time I try then I have to exit Sign Cut and turn the plotter off and then back on to get the cutout to send the image again.

I originally had the cutter set to "Refine Selltopia," but then changed it to Refine "MH/EH 721" as advised in this forum. I turned the Plotter off and then back on, along with restarting the computer and still nothing. I am using the devise "LPT"

If anyone can give me a few tips to get me cutting that would be great.

Guest Terry

I had the same problem. So I connected with the serial cable and then it worked fine.

I'm not sure on the setup,but I know the drivers port settings should be set to ecp/epp printer port and not standard port.The easiest way I have found to run signcut is to have the design you're going to cut in AI format.It automaticaly reads the illustrator extension and brings it up in the cut form.I have flexisign and signcut.I have noticed no difference in the vinyl cuts.Signcut is  a good program for cutting.There are better,but they are also priced high enough that you have to take out a loan to get them.

Thanks Terry and Billy for the quick replys. Billy where do I change the Drivers port settings to ecp/epp? I found the port area in Control panel but do not see where I can change that! Also, within signcut where do I change the design to AI format?

When you start your computer,there is a message that says hit delete to run setup.If you hit the delete key and go to the bios settings,go to the lpt port settings and make sure it's set to ecp,epp or both.To get a jpg to ai format,I usually use paint shop pro and bring up the file in jpg,bmp,gif,or eps.Then I save the file as ai,which reads as an encapsulated post script.Hope that helps.

I got sign cut to work by attaching the serial port but now am having a much bigger problem. I noticed originally before I got anything to cut that the plotter roller would make a loud noise every once in a while when I was moving the vinyl with the controls. My first cutout sent and began to cut, but then the roller that rolls the vinyl back and forth would make this loud noise and then it stoped working. I didn't even finish the first cut and now the Roller will not roll at all. I think that the motor might be bad or perhapse something is not allowing it to move! When I try to move it with the controls it sounds like it wants to move but something is holding it back, then it will move a bit or not! Do you have any suggestions? I am very frustrated now. I dont know USCutters warrenty policy but am a bit worried. Let me know if there might be something simple going on here that I dont see or what you think I should do! Thanks

You might checl to make sure the rollers attached to the blade holder are in the track.I have heard of problems with them jumping track from the throwing around by u.p.s.

Yes the rollers are in the track, but that is not the problem. Its the lower big roller that moves the vinyl in and out that is not working. I just  talked with Marcel a bit ago and he thinks it might be the motherboard or a locked motor. Anyways, I guess I will pull it apart tonight and find out. Thanks for the reply and if you think it might be something else that is an easy fix, let me know.

This could also be a result of the rollers being jammed to one side or an object jammed in the rollers that is keeping them from moving freely so please check for that. I have sent you an email with more details.