Sign in to follow this  
codogs

Magnet Pricing

I'm needing some help pricing a magnets, or even see if they're worth the effort/expense.

Initially this was going to be a simple set of magnets for each side of my dog trainers car, and a 3rd magnet for the back.  I was going to cut her a deal for $45-$50 for all three.  Now she's wanting to have an image of her dog that she just had made put on the magnets.  That's the rub...

The magnet sizes are going to be 9"X18".  The text is pretty standard, a little custom but nothing major.  She wants the background green now, again no big deal.  The thing is, the image she wants to put on of her dog comes out to 15 colors in Signblazer (12 of these colors I don't have, they are kind of odd shades).  So, it total there will be 17 colors. 

What would you charge, or would you recommend something else?  I've attached an image of the dog she just had done.  Sorry about the 'not for redistribution' across the image, but I don't want it to end up on someone's website like happened to Stunad.

Thanks,

Cody

dog_small_notforredistribution.jpg

Absolutely this is a print job - you could probably do it - but she will get a lower price and you will still have hair left - if you have hair left now :thumbsup:

-Mike

Thanks for the replies and advice.  Do you guys usually turn to bigger sign shops in your areas when you need something printed on vinyl, or is there typically other places that you go?  Just trying to determine where I'd go to have these printed.  Any idea on what I should expect to pay to have these printed?  I'm guessing the dog will only end up being about 6 inches tall (3 of them).

Thanks,

Cody

I got pricing from a local sign shop.  $12/sq foot for printed vinyl.  Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Cody

my local supplier charged around $3 a squere foot printed on vinyl but I think a $35 minimum.

I have used this with great success:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INKJET-Waterproof-Adhesive-Decal-Paper-5-Sheets-WHITE_W0QQitemZ260400967569QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca11b6f91&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A30

It really IS waterproof if you follow the instructions. I overlay clear vinyl just to be safe but I have a coffee cup that I put a pic on using it and after 2 years, still waterproof.

try member bayshorecreations - he does vinyl printing and is about $3 a sq ft.

good luck!

Chris

I get wholesale printing at 5 bucks a SF from a local print shop.  $12.......thats a rip off.  I would definitely search elsewhere.  There are several people on here that will print it for you. 

Thank you all very much for the info.  I'll contact some local print shops in the area to see what they'd charge.  If I can find someone in the $3-$5/sq ft range I'd be really happy (not only for this job but future jobs).

BannerJohn, thanks also for posting the link to the inkjet waterproof adhesive decal paper.  I don't think I'd be confident in using it on magnets, but I might find a use for something like this down the road.  It's always nice to see the creative ideas and materials people come up with and share on the forums.  Super cool.  :thumbsup:

I have used this with great success:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INKJET-Waterproof-Adhesive-Decal-Paper-5-Sheets-WHITE_W0QQitemZ260400967569QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca11b6f91&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A30

It really IS waterproof if you follow the instructions. I overlay clear vinyl just to be safe but I have a coffee cup that I put a pic on using it and after 2 years, still waterproof.

This stuff is great +1  :thumbsup:

Jon