stryker1

Memory Problems

Memory Problems

I keep getting memory problems in both SBE and SB pro when I load eps or ai files.  Is there anything that I can do about this?

I am anxious to see if someone has some help with your problem because I just got my cutter (US Cutter MH721) Friday and I have been having issues too. Specifically, I have a job set up in Illustrator CS2 which I'm trying to import into SBE. I keep getting "memory fault EPS Import" errors. This is followed by a message saying "unrecoverable error has occured" and then the program shuts down.

I found some pointers for importing into Sign Blazer which I thought would solve this problem but it still isn't working very accurately. I saved down to Illustrator Legacy 8 EPS and ungrouped all my objects but still get very poor results.

I have also tried a traditional copy and paste from Illustrator but the image comes over very distorted and not usable. In an effort to try to make something work, I tried to use the Node Edit tool thinking I could maybe just make some modifications to the distorted image and get it to look ok. But as I have an object selected and try to use the Node Edit tool, I instantly get an "unrecovereable error" message, then the program shuts down.

I will definitely keep an eye out for some solutions because at this point, the first job I'm trying to do with my new cutter is a very simple design in Illustrator yet Sign Blazer Elements is proving to be a very "quirky" program. I just screen printed a few dozen of this design this weekend and wanted to do 6 hoodies using heat pressed vinyl.

Good luck, I wish I could offer some help but at this point I need it myself.

I have several images that are in multiple folders.  One folder has about 150 images. Some images are ai foles and some are eps. I have found that I have better luck with the eps files and use the full post interpreter option that comes up when importing.  I have also found that if you wait a few minutes before you actually click on the file to import that it seems to give SB a chance to (for a lack of beeter terms) catch up.  I can actually open the files a few times and get the error message, then the next time it will open it just fine.  I will do the same, if I hear or come across any other info, I will forwarded along.

I'm assuming your computer is more than a couple years old. Check to see if you have at least 1meg for an XP and at least 2 meg in vista. Also as a computer sits it collects dust, this retains heat, which can cause quircky memory problems. Other than Not Having enough memory or finiky chips - software drivers these days don't usually cause memory errors.

I do have an older computer, but I just recently had it rebuilt with a large hard drive and added memory less than one month ago.  I have 90% free hard drive space on this computer.  Also this computer has very limited sofware, since it is primarly running SB.

Guest round2racing

When we talk about memory here, I don't think we are talking about hard drive space.

We are talking about RAM (random access memory).

This memory is where things you are working on resides until you save it to the hard drive.

Sorry if I posted late, but yeah "new" ram chips are often a problem. Next time you reboot your PC go into the bios and see how much memory it's reporting - if it's a lot less than what you put in - have the PC checked by the tech that installed the ram chips - it may be ok - since most pc's share some memory with the video controller or it could be the chips. Also since you recently installed a bigger hard-drive have the tech check the temperature inside your machine your CPU may be working a lot harder now so heat may be a factor.  An extra fan is always a good thing and the cost of electricity is  minimal.

I doubt you have a hardware issue (RAM).  If you did, your computer would likely be unstable (shutdown randomly, etc...) and not just when importing eps's into SignBlazer.  I'm guessing your issue is more related to how the eps is created in AI and SignBlazer is choking on that particular eps file/format.

I don't use AI, but you can verify this if you download and install Inkscape (it's free).  Create anything in Inkscape, just something quick and dirty like plain text.  Save as an eps file and see if it'll import into in SignBlazer. 

If it imports fine from the Inkscape eps file, check out this post:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,4397.0.html

I'm experiencing the same thing. Everytime I save an AI file as an eps file and want to import it, Signblazer shuts down (Memory fault.)

I've got a relatively new PC with Windows7 so it can't be a old computer thing.

I've also noticed that it takes more and more seconds to load Signblazer in trial mode? Why is that?

I'm experiencing the same thing. Everytime I save an AI file as an eps file and want to import it, Signblazer shuts down (Memory fault.)

I've also noticed that it takes more and more seconds to load Signblazer in trial mode? Why is that?

are you saving the .ai file in an older version of .eps like version8? You should,, Signblazer is older software and has not been updated for several years.

May be this or that. Best advice would be to upload one of the graphics that give you the error so others can check it out and maybe come up with the right answer...

This seems to happen when SignBlazer has a problem creating a preview (.pvw) of one of the files contained in the folder you are accessing. It will usually create an .err file identifying which file it is. Try turning off your preview when importing.

Thanks for all your answers.

This is what I've tried. Saving from AI(CS5) to eps (to an older version;AI8)but it didn't work. As soon as I go to Import, Signblazer would shut down, didn't even give me a chance to select a file.

Then I've tried what Jay was recommending. I checked the Preview button (No Preview). Saved my AI file as an eps (kept it in CS5 version!)and guess what, it works! I'm not 100% sure since I have to test it out more, but I believe that was the issue. Thanks Jay! I'll keep you updated.

Does anyone know why it takes so long for Signblazer to open? I remembered in the beginning it was 20 seconds but now I'm at 64 seconds! Is that normal?

Thanks for all your answers.

This is what I've tried. Saving from AI(CS5) to eps (to an older version;AI8)but it didn't work. As soon as I go to Import, Signblazer would shut down, didn't even give me a chance to select a file.

Then I've tried what Jay was recommending. I checked the Preview button (No Preview). Saved my AI file as an eps (kept it in CS5 version!)and guess what, it works! I'm not 100% sure since I have to test it out more, but I believe that was the issue. Thanks Jay! I'll keep you updated.

Does anyone know why it takes so long for Signblazer to open? I remembered in the beginning it was 20 seconds but now I'm at 64 seconds! Is that normal?

you can't save as .ai8.for Signblazer.. you have to save as .eps8. , Hope things work out for you...

I meant in the eps options dialog field which comes up after you save as eps (out of Illustrator). You surely can safe it as an older version.