Guest Schramm

Etched 4" sq glass tiles

Guest Schramm

Well here are some glass tiles that I etched today, I was just playing around.  By the way the 2 pieces are sitting on top of one of my mirrors.

Rob

post-0-12986536371809_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536372081_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536380721_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536380845_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

OH YEAH forgot to mention that is vinyl.  Oracal 8510 etched glass vinyl in the fine pattern.  I cannot tell you how easy that sells compaired to sand or chemical etching!  The pictures below is how I show this to the client, I just quickly drew up the door in Corel and custom made the design.  This stuff is a very very easy sell as you can charge 1/3 of what a etching job goes for and make a killing!

post-0-12986536373677_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536373936_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536381753_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536381948_thumb.jpg

Guest kenya

Very nice Rob  :D.

Thanks for the info about the 8510.

Guest Schramm

Here are a couple of samples I am sending to a designer in TN tomorrow.  This is a small mock up of a humidor glass panel.  Man I wish I would of had this 5 years ago when I was sandblasting glass on a regular basis.  I definatly would of cut etched glass vinyl over spending 5K on equipment to then have to cut spray mask and then do the work.  The look is spot on sitting right next to etched glass cut with AO (aluminum oxide).

post-0-12986536377098_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536377474_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536383572_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536383813_thumb.jpg

Like always very nice job and yeah that 8510 is awesome. I did a Downtown Los Angeles Bank Meeting room with it and man it came out sweet. I can't post photos because it was while working with a sign company but yes looks very realistic........... :o:D 

Guest Schramm

I am trying right now to import this in from China, I have the company, tested samples from the company and right now I am just going to try to get a great price as I use a lot of it!!!  I send sample doors 4"W x 6"L to cabinet companies so that they can see the product and now I am also sending it to glass companies.  I have way too many things going on I am starting to think!

Rob - Your work is awesome, as always.  I have never tried the 8510, but will now.  What kind of care instructions do you give to your clients who purchase these vinyl etched items?

Guest Schramm

I apply it to the inside part of a cabinet door and not the outside so interior it will last forever and exterior is 7 years.  I have had it on my van for 4 years and it has not changed a bit.

Rob

Guest Schramm

I did 6 of this one today and sent them to 6 different cabinet companies in my local area.  I will let you know how the response is.  So far I have had extreamly good luck with direct mailings to companies that do something that my work will fit into.

post-0-12986536416828_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536430569_thumb.jpg

Excellent work!  I'm glad to see how nice Oracal 8510 works, because I was thinking of picking some up.

I apply it to the inside part of a cabinet door and not the outside so interior it will last forever and exterior is 7 years.  I have had it on my van for 4 years and it has not changed a bit.

Rob

Very nice work.  Inside the door?  Hmm interesting. :thumbsup:

I used a sample sheet of the 8510, was worried at first, because it sort of has the blue tint to it on the roll. Once applied I was amazed at how real it looked.

Kevin

Guest Schramm

I have a Cutter Pro CS1200 50".  I change my down force from 100 to 110 and slow my speed from 60 down to 50 and this stuff is just amazing!  The samples above are 4"W x 6"T and they have a ton of detail and present very nicely.  Very cost effective way to show off your work to people that will use you time and time again.  Glass cost me $.30 (keep in mind I deal in glass so you will definatly pay more) ea and the vinyl about $.05.  What a great 35

Very nice!  :thumbsup:

I really like your door example.  I just put a 'Welcome' sign on our front glass door, but I think I'm going to redo it after seeing how good the etched vinyl looks, plus that door design you did is awesome! 

Regarding how you put vinyl on the inside of cabinet's; so using this method you'd actually be looking at the sticky side through the glass, right?  If so, is there any difference in looks visually?

Thanks,

Cody

Guest Schramm

I am placing a video in the Instructional contributions section for you to view.  The sticky side and the non sticky side look the same!

This stuff does look great, ever since I saw it existed I've noticed much of the frosted glass I've seen on store fronts is actually vinyl.  (A bunch of Bank of America ATMs have 2" dots in 2 rows around the glass in many locations)

My question is, how is it about being dishwasher safe?  I couldnt imagine it holding up that well over time, but it would be ideal if it does.  I'm looking to do a set of pint glasses for a band.  Like you said, it saves all the steps that usually come after cutting and applying. 

For glassware I think you're better off sandblasting.

Great work Rob.  :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

Look at the end of the day it is vinyl, if you apply it to dishware and put it in the dishwasher it isnt going to last.  I have put it on shower doors however I put it on the outside of the door as it will last forever that way.

As for sandblasting being better, that is saying that a hammer and a nail is better then a pneumatic nailer...  They are not the same thing, and sand and chemical etching have there place but I would bet my life you are not going to sand etch a company logo onto a rented store front without getting sued.  Everything has its place but I think you are going to find out that sand etching is going to get beat 9 times out of 10 when it comes to price and simularity of look.

Here is a little fact, in the 1970's if you would of told my grandfather that drywall was going to be the next big thing and plaster was only be done primarily in restoration he would of said you were nuts!  Times are changing, the economy is in the toilet and etched glass vinyl can give you the same look at less then 1/3 the price and it is 100% DIY and 100% changable - do the math!!!

Guest Schramm

Right on when it comes to things that will last or smaller items either chemical or sand etching are the only ways to go.  Like I said sandblasting definatly has its place as does vinyl.

Schramm,

What's been your experience as far as the glue holding up on the inside of an exterior door application. I was reading an article on one of the sites a while back that seemed to think that installing vinyl on the inside glue out would reduce the life of the vinyl, since the Adhesive itself wasn't UV resistant, like the vinyl is. I can see on UV glass where it wouldn't matter as much, but not all glass is UV resistant.

Any one else have any info on this for not just etch vinyl but regular vinyl too?

Kevin

Guest Schramm

Kevin,

Damn smart question, I put the vinyl primarily on cabinet doors and pantries and such but I always put the vinyl non sticky side out on exteriors.  I will say that I have had my family initial on the front door of my house with Illinois weather for about 9 months with NO CHANGES and no maintenance.

The adheasive on this vinyl is solvent which can hold up to quite a bit and it was designed to be put on the inside of door fronts of business entryways as if you put it on the outside you know someone would pick at it.  I find this stuff to be tough as nails and I have also found about 40 really good applications for it including small things like jewelry box glass! 

HERE IS A LITTLE FACT:  In the time it takes to cut a stencil for sand etching, apply it to glass, set up your machine, etch, remove vinyl and clean I could have 5-8 of these done to one the old way of doing it!!!  To me that is money in my pocket.  Now I would say that if the look was that much different or even 10% different that you would have to let the customer decide however I feel confident enough to tell my clients that the look is 99.9% on a interior and exterior application, it is 100% removable, it is DIY friendly and you can achieve the same look without a mess or a long wait time.

There is a company, not going to mention names (they are not on here) that sand etch glass cabinet door glass, there work is beautiful however for a 10" x 17" glass door panel they charge $85 plus $15 shipping ($100 each).  For the same design me cutting it out of Faux Etch Vinyl it could cost $20-25 and about $3 shipping and only $1 each more in shipping if they did 10!!!  Now say that the normal kitchen with glass door panels is 10 panels it would cost $1000 for the real thing OR I could get it done for the max of $262 delivered and if they did 10 I would only charge them $20 with no shipping or $200 flat!  That is a huge difference for no difference other then one is vinyl and they have to apply themselves!  If they were local and wanted me to do the install on the glass it would be about $10 for 1 that size or $75 for all of them!

Starting to get the picture???