Budsoda

2 Colors 18" x 24" Double Rider Sign $ 55.00...?

I got a call today from a Real Estate Co. and they wanted a price for 6 signs 18" x 24" with two 6" Rider and 2 colors.. so I told them..$ 95.00 each.. and they told me no way they can get them done from this new guy in town for $ 55.00 each.. so I say them why did you call me them.. they told me the new gey is about 2 weeks out...  :thumbsup: wow how can he make any money doing a sign for $55.00..? I know the frame is $25.00 each and about $4.00 in vinyl... so he is going to make a big $31.00 pre. sign.. I know I can't do it for that..   can you.?

It would be 26.00 per sign.

and yes,  I may if the other guy is 2 weeks out, that may be the start of a good customer.

you might get afew dollars more since they want them sooner than two weeks also if they decide on the other guy you may never get another chance for their business.

It may in the long run be to your advantage, but then again there are some people who just want the cheapest price reguardless of who does the work.

just my 2 cents

Dave

I know plenty of people around here working their asses off for $8 an hour...if I can make $31 for a few hours of easy work, I'm gonna jump on it. And you should too. Nobody pays you for sitting around waiting for the big jobs.

I know plenty of people around here working their asses off for $8 an hour...if I can make $31 for a few hours of easy work, I'm gonna jump on it. And you should too. Nobody pays you for sitting around waiting for the big jobs.

Agree.. We keep our prices low.... sometimes too low but i do stay busy and make great money.

Agree.. We keep our prices low.... sometimes too low but i do stay busy and make great money.

staying busy is the key. Nothing will make you hate your job more than boredom. I would rather work for $5 an hour than have nothing to do.

$31 x 6 signs = $186

Even if it takes you 4 hours to do those 6 signs... you're still at $45 per hour.

bottom line...marklet determines price. If there are others lower than you, there is a reason. And they will get the business and you won't. And that is not good.

Guest TracMatt

Maybe the new guy gets his supplies cheaper.  Have you looked around to see if you can find your supplies at the same quality but at a cheaper price?  I have found that sometimes it takes a lot of research to get a great price on supplies.  It's worth the time spent in the end to save money and make a better profit.

Or possibly the new guy doesn't use quality stuff, just cheaper.  If he has a shop go in and check it out and ask him like you were interested in having a sign made.  See what his stuff is all about.  Then you would know what you are up against at least for competition. 

Tracee

I agree with Tracee....always shopping around for the best prices is key, especially in staying competitive.

or it could be that $95 is just too high. It would be around here.

Maybe the new guy gets his supplies cheaper.  Have you looked around to see if you can find your supplies at the same quality but at a cheaper price?  I have found that sometimes it takes a lot of research to get a great price on supplies.  It's worth the time spent in the end to save money and make a better profit.

Or possibly the new guy doesn't use quality stuff, just cheaper.  If he has a shop go in and check it out and ask him like you were interested in having a sign made.  See what his stuff is all about.  Then you would know what you are up against at least for competition. 

Tracee

I do shop for the best price on supplies... I have called about 35 sign co. and $90.00 to $130.00 is the going price here in Inaidna..  and i know it will very on where you live in the US

I came up with 66.22 for the 2 color 2 side coroplast - 38.99 for signs 13.60 for riders.  $24.99 for the frames total for job 547.02 - plus any taxes.  That's $91.21 per unit complete.

Now I have never done this type of sign - and I just used the price for the frame I found in a google search - you said 25 so I think it's the right price there.  Just for my future reference what do you pay for the frames to sell them at $25.00?

This is just me doing the math - I would be more confident in my figures if I had submitted quotes like this and gotten jobs.  I see lots of guys who have more experience than me have weighed in on this thread and in the end it's your choice how much you charge for your time.

-Mike

I would definitely do it.  Money is money.  I have dont a lot of stuff just starting off where I have made little to no money but the customers come back.  Look for suppliers to get better prices, also maybe look into PVC other than Aluminum.  Just my .02.....

Any update?  Did you do the job? 

-Mike

he went and got the new signs and i did 8 of them for $320.00... $40.00 each sign vinyl and labor