Sign in to follow this  
unkes60

Cutting strip

Please Help, I feel stupid asking this, but... On the cutting strip for the refine mh721. It looks like there is a piece of masking tape over it. I assumed that it was just part of the strip. Now that I look real close I see a more normal looking strip with a plasic kind of material over it underneath. But I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to remove of the tape (or what looks like tape), it looks perfectly cut like it is supposed to be there. If I am supposed to get rid of the tape, do I remove the clear plastic covering underneath it too?

-Stephanie

I figured out the masking tape, but the clear tape was a surprise.  I'm glad the topic came up.  Got it all off, although getting the glue residue from the clear tape off was a bit of a PITA, at least now it's gone.  Thanks for the tip.

<M>

I know the masking tape should be removed, but the clear tape may be there to keep the cutting strips in place longer.

I not only leave the clear on,but when it gets worn,I cut a long strip from some clear vinyl and replace it. Rule of thumb to me is,if something comes off easily,it is meant to be removed. If not,it probably isn't.

Now that I've removed the clear tape (and you're right, it didn't come off easily) and having read your comments I guess I should think about replacing it... I don't have any clear vinyl but I do have clear heavy duty packing tape... that ought to work about as well as the vinyl, wouldn't you think?

I'm just going by what I was told on here. I was told to remove both the clear and the white tape. If the clear is still on there, you can't even feel the felt strip which is the cutting strip.

I thought that as well initially, but after seeing the ends of the plastic cutting strip starting to come up with both the masking and clear tape gone, I started to think otherwise. I have not seen it on many, but enough to make me wonder. I guess it is a toss up. Leave it on, and cut through it into the felt-like strip when using the front position, or take it off and hope the plastic strip doesn't start to come up. I guess it depends on how often you cut all the way through your particular material.

You could also remove both, then put some clear tape of your own on just the ends to hold the plastic strip down, or clear vinyl like bannerjohn suggests.    :idea:

I really am not certain about the clear, but the masking tape comes off.    :)

I am new to the refine but I had a roland for many years.  There is always a clear sealing surface on the cutter strip to keep small fragments from coming up and getting on the blade.  This acts as a binder for the strip.  Ideally you should never cut into the strip but anyone who has used a cutter knows that it happens.  That clear sealer is just a protection and should not be removed.  It wont cause a failure but it will keep you from breaking a blade tip off in the strip more than likely.  oh and by the way, when that happens, you will find the tip, cut your finger finding it or replace several blades before you realize what is going on!