Sign in to follow this  
smithmotorsports99

Help with a purchase

Hello All,

I'm interested in starting my vinyl letting hobby.  I have experience with doing the lettering, but not with the software side.  I used to help the guy that did the lettering on my race cars.  Now after 15 years of racing, I'm ready to take the vinyl side of racing to an in house operation to cut costs.  I couldn't believe the prices on this site!  Wish I would have known sooner!

My questions would be what size and model cutter to get.  I'm going to be letting my race cars first, then when I have that figured out, I will branch out to other cars, trailers, vehicles, promotional stuff.  I was leaning towards a 50" cutter, since the guy that did my race cars had a 24" and had to match up seams quite a bit on larger logos.

What software is the best for layering vinyl or shadowing?  Is there software for doing estimates of jobs for customers?

I was looking at the Laser pointer cutter, but didn't understand it didn't print until after reviewing quite a bit.  I don't know what kind of printer I would have to get just to print on the vinyl, then turn around and throw it in the laser pointer for it to cut out the logo.  I thought I was going to be able to buy one machine to do large wraps for race cars.  But I see that won't be happening at a cost I'm comfortable with at first.  So it will be back to racking and stacking multiple colors of vinyl to get a great looking finished product.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

Rick

www.smithmotorsports99.com

Most vinyl comes in 15 or 24" width anyhow, so no sense in getting the larger unit unless you were getting in to window tinting as well.

Oracal 651 cal or 751 cast for the vehicle decals. The included software should be enough for what you are wanting to do. Yes, I think there is estimate software available- but not something we stock at this time.

Go with a USCutter MH721 or the PCut CT630

Kenimes,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not interested in window tinting at this time.  One, there are to many laws about it, and it fusterated me to no end when I tried doing my own truck a few times.

I gather a 24" cutter is all we will need for now then.

Is there any advantage to buying the Laser Pointer Cutter?  My wife was searching on here and found that many people were using a well priced desk top printer to print the logos on the special vinyl, then cutting it out in the cutter.  Is this a pretty easy process?  Would there be a cost saving advantage for doing multicolor logos, instead of stacking layers of vinyl?  I know we will be limited to 8.5x11 for sizes.

And all machines will cut heat transfer material?  We will be interested in doing shirts as well, once we can get a heat press.

Thanks again for the help.  Just knowing I don't need to go with a 30+ inch machine helps me a lot.

" And all machines will cut heat transfer material? "

Yes to that . I don't know the answer to the rest , but am interested in knowing the answer . Also what is the life expectancy on decals made like that ?

That's good that all would cut heat transfer material.  I should have known that one, but didn't get much sleep before I posted that reply.

I still am wondering about the following question though.  We are leaning towards getting one, but just want to make sure it's a smart move.

Is there any advantage to buying the Laser Pointer Cutter?  My wife was searching on here and found that many people were using a well priced desk top printer to print the logos on the special vinyl, then cutting it out in the cutter.  Is this a pretty easy process?  Would there be a cost saving advantage for doing multicolor logos, instead of stacking layers of vinyl?  I know we will be limited to 8.5x11 for sizes.

Thanks Dan,

I guess I shouldn't completely rule them out.  They are the ones I was originally looking at getting a vinyl machine through a few years ago, but didn't want to spend some serious money like that.  I'll check them out for the software.

Thanks,

Rick

You'll be happy with your MH721.

I bought the 33" model and I love it!

It's been great, been running it for 2 months now, I've already paid for the machine!

As for printing on Vinyl, that gets costly. I have seen some good deals on ebay, but I still can't justity spending a few thousand for a printer right now, especially since this is just a hobby, nightly side job for me.

Goodluck with your purchase!

Jeffrey06

Is the MH721 the laser pointer cutter?  And you say a 33" model.  Do you cut much over 24"?  Do they sell vinyl in 30"?  I'm just trying to figure out a need to go bigger than 24".

Guest fivestar

No they MH721 is not a laser point.  I know I own 2 MH721's :rolleyes::lol::thumbsup: They are great machines for the $$$$$.  I'm doing a 61 t-shirt order right now as I type with my cutter.

I'd also vote that you start with a MH721 and then you'll know when you have need to move up to something like a Graphtec or something higher end with an optical eye for contour cutting.  Then your MH721 will still make a nice backup cutter. 

Thanks guys for the great information.  This site is just absolutely amazing with some great informtion and feedback.  I'm going to research the MH series and see what to get.

I have been seeing some mixed emotions on the software that is included.  Have you guys just used what is recommended or have you gone up to the other softwares available?

I'm still leaning towards a bigger size than the 25" machine.  I'm just worried I'm going to run into a problem when I do my racecars with big logos on the hood or the numbers on the roof.  My racing number is 99, I know I can split the numbers to get bigger, but what about alignment then.

Thanks again everyone!

The only advantage of getting the LaserPoint cutter is for contour cutting around pre-printed graphics/ text/ etc.

Guest fivestar

The racecars I do all require 18" on the doors and roof.  Honestly I've cut 3 things that's ever needed to be pieced together because they was bigger then 24".  Now that's the whole graphic, not something like                                         

I

Love

Doing

Vinyl

Graphics

That would be say 54 tall, then I would cut each line seperate.  I hope I explained that correctly.  :rolleyes::lol::thumbsup:

Thanks fivestar!

You did explain it correctly.  That's what we did for a few of my racecars.  I've got a lot of experience laying vinyl.  The whole software idea is going to be new to me.  But once I get the hang of it, it's going to be a piece of cake.

I actually haven't cut anything over 24", I'm still buying the 24" Material also. For $40 I thought why not when I was purchasing my cutter. I may never cut that big, who knows, but at least I'll have it.  :rolleyes:

Yea I was doing some research this morning and saw vinyl for 30" wide if need be.  So I might go with the 34" cutter, just in case.

I hope to be making my buy in the next week or so.  Online classes for college have my time right now.

Yea I was doing some research this morning and saw vinyl for 30" wide if need be.  So I might go with the 34" cutter, just in case.

I hope to be making my buy in the next week or so.  Online classes for college have my time right now.

I feel you pain their.

Good luck with the purchase!

Ok guys,

I have told myself that I will have something on order by this weekend.  I'm done having people tell me they want work done as soon as I am up and running.  Can't make money if you don't have the equipment.

okay, I saw items on e-bay.  MH-1351 50" cutter for 389.99.  Sounds like a deal?  Feedback please? 

I also see the MH-871 for 289.99.  Another good deal.  I'm still on the fense about which size.  I'll probably go with the 34".  Now if I buy from e-bay I know the warrenty is shorter and the software is the signblazer.  Would you recommend getting the flexi 8.5 with dongle through the uscutter website?

I don't mind just buying the cutter directly from the cutter website if that is what everyone recommends.  I'd really like to have something on order by the end of the week.

Thanks again everyone!

Ok, I'm ordering my machine tonight.  I just finished ordering all the free samples I could under the vinyl thread.  Took awhile, but I feel it was quite worth it.

I'm going to order a roll of white, black, blue and red for starters.  Any others?  Probably going with the Oracal vinyl.

I'm going to just start with the software that comes with the cutter.  Then if I see a need I'll just buy the flexi software.

My big question is.  What software do you guys use for vector stuff and vehicle graphics and lettering?  I see so much out there, and just want to make a few purchases.  Not go and buy one a week because the other didn't have what I needed.

Thanks again!  Can't wait to start this all up!

Guest fivestar

I definitely recommend going with Oracal vinyl.  As for the software, I personally use Corel Draw and Flexi for most of my vector images.

Fivestar,

Any input on buying from Ebay for the cutter versus USCutterdirect?  I'm going to buy tonight either way.  And the vinyl package they have for 10 rolls of oracal?  good deal?

Thanks for the info!

It's final!

I made my purchase last night.  I went with the 33" MH series from UScutter.  I decided to just buy direct from them, since it was only a $40 difference between them and e-bay.  Now I won't have warrenty or exchange worries.

I didn't make the upgrade to Flexi Starter 8.5 though.  I'll probably kick myself for that one.

Now I'm just waiting for it to come in, and all my free samples I put in for on Saturday!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Guest fivestar

Congrats...........sorry I just seen your question to me.  I think you made the correct decision going through US Cutter directly for a longer warranty.  Again congrats.