Sign in to follow this  
paz21paz

What is a good starter pack?

I just got my LP 24 today! I have gotten the samples from oracals website that I will mess with tonight. My question is what is a good starter pack I will be doing small stuff to start I was thinking about a roll of white 651 and some ap tape. What do you guys think? Where is a good place to get started with. I will also have to get some squeeges & things. All I have is the LP 24 what would you get? THANKS

Get a roll of white, ap tape, a few squeegees and go at it and have some fun!

Before you know it you will have 40 rolls of vinyl all different colors laying around the shop!

You can always just get a few rolls of the more common colors(white, black, red, blue), a few different brand squeezees(try different ones, until you find a brand you like... I've gone through 6 or 7 different ones and still not 100% happy), for app tape, I'd suggest to get some paper app tape, as it's a little easier to work with versus clear app tape, and you can do more things with it, such as wet app. Good quality scirrors, cutting blade, metal ruler, weeding tools, measuring tape, cutting mat(if needed), some empty spray bottles, stabilo pencils(oil pencils for marking on glass and other substrates that wash off easily), and patience...

I personally would just buy stuff individually, versus buying a starter kit... it seems like either some of the stuff isn't needed or you could get better quality stuff if bought separately. I guess my thing is... why buy something twice? If a starter kit comes with a cheap weeding tool that gets you by for the first month or two, sooner or later you're going to want or need something better.

Just talking... sorry :)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone on here is very helpful. I look forward to talking to you all alot. I'm going to get some stuff ordered, which supplier does everyone use? Thanks Again.

Fellers

Sign Warehouse

Ordway Sign Supply

Oracal 651 is an all around good vinyl... can be used for a ton of different apps.

I started with the free stuff!(no loss in what you didnt pay for) Check the free vinyl links and sign up for them. Youll get a feel for the dif in materials that way. Most people end up going with oracal 651, (I did)  Good luck!!

the BrightLine brand sold by Grimco is some top quality vinyl. 

Not a big color selection but it's weeding quality is better than Oracal and equal or better than 3M.

D

FYI  Walmart is now carring Fiskar cutting mats in 24" x 36" for $28.00. First time i have seen them around here. One is gray with orange lines and another one that is yellow on one side and pink on the other side. The yellow worked good on the two color decals. Raised the contrast so i could see through the tape better. :thumbsup: