lmz319

How easy/difficult would it be...

Let's say I purchase a 15x15 press. If I have a design larger than 15x15 (maybe 20" x 20"), how easy/difficult/possible or impossible would it be to heat press such a design with a smaller press...can you press in increments? As in, press one portion, open move material, press again, etc.?? I'm not talking doing t-shirts but flat sheets of fabric.

Obviously I want to purchase the biggest and best press I can afford, but I'm also trying to be "fiscally responsible" and not spend more than absolutely necessary.

Thanks so much!

~LZ

Guest sciondrgn

I have a 15x15 and I did a heat transfer that was 13x20, I pressed the first section normal time then slid it down and pressed the next section full time and peeled.. It worked ok but was a bit frantic trying to get it to stick right since the transfer was a hot peel..

I would imagine if you are using a Cold Peel material you would have better luck.. press everything down in sections then let totally cool before peeling.

I've done this and got a line between the 2 presses...Not that noticeable to the "untrained eye", plus it was a white graphic, so that probably didn't help!

Hmmm....thank you for your comments. Since most of my projects would likely be larger than 15x15 maybe I should just suck it up and get the bigger press. (One of these days... :thumbsup:)

Anyone else care to share their experience?

Thanks!

I wish I had not spent the money on my 15" X 15" . Best to spend 1 time & get what is needed . On the other hand , I did not know if I would like doing shirts , so not that much monet spent to find out if it would be a fad or not & always good to have a back-up .  :)

Roger: I think I have a similar thought process. I figure I could try my idea on the 15 x 15 and maybe I will find out I don't need a larger press. Then again, if I do, perhaps the smaller one will help me generate enough funds to buy a bigger one for specific projects.

Decisions, decisions. LOL My husband and I are each about to graduate with MBAs. I told him this morning maybe I'd reward myself with a big press as a graduation gift to myself. He asked if he could reward himself with a genuine Les Paul guitar....I replied that maybe my new press would earn me the money to get him that guitar! ;-)

He asked if he could reward himself with a genuine Les Paul guitar....I replied that maybe my new press would earn me the money to get him that guitar! ;-)

Hey...Maybe you man will become a rock star and earn him the money to get you that press!  :)

I use Hotmark 70 heat transfer vinyl with my small press on large jobs, doing a section at a time.  No lines no problems.  I've used this technique on tent toppers, fabric banners, and table cloths.  All projects turned out great.