wasatchcars

Just an idea

I was just thinking that I might be able to apply vinyl to a screen material like in our windows and use it for a stencil for spray paint?

has anyone ever tried this?

I have not seen it , but I have read about stencil material in this forum . You would not have the screen in the painted areas to deal with then or have to cut it out .

Yeah, there would be no reason for the screen, and you would have to throw it away as it would be clogged with paint unless you cleaned it quickly.

I have seen several articles where people use vinyl for paint mask on motorcycle tanks, pinstriping, etc.

What your looking for to use is called "spray mask", that's what its know as here in OZ.

Cut it as you would with normal vinyl, apply app tape, stick it on your surface to be painted,

remove app tape, spray and remove the mask!

cheers

Those stencils work & seems I have read about stencil material ( non adhesive ) that a cutter would cut . I have made those a long time ago for my backhoes , eqipment etc . It winds up looking like shipping crates with overspray . As cheap as vinyl is & as many people who have cutters , I would not use the old fashioned stencils unless it was on stuff that looks was not ANY consideration at all . When I get a Mobile Home that is headed for the scrap yard , I take a rattle can & spray down the side free-hand ( which I am not good at ) just to advertise " Mobile Home Disposal & my phone # " . I would rather have a hard stencil I could reuse, because that would look ALOT better than what I am doing . I have gotten calls from the free-hand painted signs .

I think there is a vinyl that comes off easy that is used as stencils ;)

I would cut out a stencil from Amberlith or Rubylith film, or possibly even just transparency material, and then attach it to a wooden frame.  If you get this stretched well, it should work well and last awhile.

Oracal 811 Stencil film. Just saw it today in my Oracal Sample Pack :thumbsup:

I've done graffiti art with stencils like this. The only problem with the screen idea is that the paint will work on the adhesive, so you can loose some of your detail parts inside...I use card stock to cut stencils, works PDG!

I just use 20 mil magnetic material.. cut it with my plotter..and it works good for a stencil and last a long time to..

The magnetic vinyl seems the best idea  :thumbsup: . But as cheap as vinyl is , I would think unless it is a surface the vinyl would not stick to , vinyl would be better than paint ;D

Same as what i did, I bought the thinest magnet material my supplier had and then turned the force all the way up and cut the lettering out on my copam, that way i had a reusable self adhesive (being magnetic) stencil, sold a bunch to the Holt Catapillar dealership by my house.. They logo all their equipment for rental and number them, and everytime they get a piece back they do a little refurbishing (spray touch up paint) So they are always buying different stencils. Works great, unless you have like a letter "o" and you just have to keep up with the center piece..