engs0062

Shadows

How do you accomplish shadows using 2 different colors of vinyl?  For example..........the number 57.  I can cut out a 57 just fine.........but what if I want shadow?  Say the number is black, and I want a chrome shadow.  How do I design the shadow?  I would imagine I insert the black vinyl, cut the 57..........but when I insert the chrome vinyl, how do I just cut just the outline so it is in proper alignment?  Just confused with this whole process.  Thanks for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

Lee

Lee,

it helps us if we know what pc platform you are using and what design software and which cutting software.

i use corel 12. i can draw a number then add an offset version of that number for the shadow.  a different way would be the use a contour around your original number. either way you will have to add registration marks, usually squares and circles to line up the design when it is all cut.  hope that helps some.  take care, daniel t

Thanks Daniel.  Windows XP, I use Illustrator, and or Photoshop and vectorize the image using Inkscape and SignCut X2 to cut.  So does anyone have any instructions on how to add an offset version or a contour using these programs?

Then I am completely lost on adding registration marks and how to line up the design when it is cut.  Complete newbie here.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Lee

I attached an example.  I created the number in Inkscape, and just copied the layer and moved them so there was a shadow.  I wanted to make my shadow a bit thicker, but if I changed the size of the text of the shadow it did not work.

Secondly, how do I get the cutter to first cut out the red, then switch vinyl and cut out the black shadow and keep everything proportionate - then how do you guys apply the top layer of red to the bottom layer of black (just tape and by eye)?

Sorry for all the question, but thanks for any help, I truly appreciate it.

Lee

57shadow.eps

57shadow.eps

very easy in inkscape.

1. Create your text

2.copy & paste so you have 2 copies

3.select ONE of the text,go to PATH,the OutSET..once or twice depending on how thick you want the shadow

4.select all

5.go to OBJECT,select align and distribute

6.align horizontally & vertically

7.save as an .eps

And there you have it.

If you want to cut each seperately,make one of the other a different color before you outset.

Can't get much easier than that.

Sounds easy enough.  I catch onto things fast, I just need a little guidance to get rolling.  That process took me about 2 minutes to complete.

Still a little confused about what the program will cut..........won't it cut the original outline and the shadow outline on the same piece of vinyl?

Sorry if this seems elementary, just starting out.

Thanks

Lee

It will,if you make both the same color before you start the outset,etc...BUT if you make each one a different color,and then in signcut,you just cut each color separately.

Makes sense.........how do you designate, within SignCut, which color to cut? 

Thanks John, I appreciate it.

Lee

A colored box appears on the right side of the screen for each color. Click on the color you want to cut.