Sign in to follow this  
aries58

Lighted Glass Block

Here are some sample lighted glass blocks.You can also stick a vinyl on the block,or print off graphic on stickitpaper and place on block.I do them with their photo on stickit paper sell em for 20 bucks each..Make great gifts.I also do it's a boy or girl ones also..Thanks

post-3934-12986531716279_thumb.jpg

post-3934-12986531732197_thumb.jpg

LOve the glass block idea, that will be my next project!  Can you use 651 on that without it peeling off? DO you have one to show with pic on there?

Thank you

Dazzel

LOve the glass block idea, that will be my next project!  Can you use 651 on that without it peeling off? DO you have one to show with pic on there?

Thank you

Dazzel

Yes vinyl sticks great. They are smooth glass.

Jon

COOL...thanks Jon...BTW...Hdepot does not carry these glass blocks...FYI..shame on them!

Dazzel

I saw these done by a friend around Christmas time...never thought about putting vinyl on them.

Dazzel check Lowes...Home Depot has been letting me down lately!

I saw these done by a friend around Christmas time...never thought about putting vinyl on them.

Dazzel check Lowes...Home Depot has been letting me down lately!

Yes lowes has them $54.00 for a case of 10..

Yea, I agree Jenny, the customer service at HD isn't what it used to be! :-

Thanks Aries...gonna make something for My Man Cakes as it is his BD on Heart Day  :P

Dazzel

Jon, did you have any trouble drilling the hole for the lights? What kind of bit do you use?Sandy  I did hear you have to go slowly or the glass block will crack.

Thanks Aries about the price....I like to know about what I'm paying before I jump in with both feet.

Dazzel....HD is definitely not like they use to be!  :P

Sandy, hadn't thought of that right away, about having to drill a hole in the block!  :-

Jay, thanks for that link....will definitely save us alot of problems, trying to get it right....ok ok, so maybe it will just say ME...from messing it up!  :P

Pittsburgh Corning also makes a glass block bank.  It has a hole and rubber plug in the bottom, and a slot in the top.  They are a bit more expensive, but are great sellers.  Most companies that install glass block walls can order them for you.

Hobby Lobby sells glass blocks with holes in them made for this purpose.  How much, I dont know, but they were on clearance at my local store, I think around $4 each.

Jon, did you have any trouble drilling the hole for the lights? What kind of bit do you use?Sandy   I did hear you have to go slowly or the glass block will crack.

The ones I used had holes in them already. I got them at Lowe's

Jon

Jon, did you have any trouble drilling the hole for the lights? What kind of bit do you use?Sandy   I did hear you have to go slowly or the glass block will crack.

The ones I used had holes in them already. I got them at Lowe's

Jon

Ahhh once again...good ole Lowes!!  :P

Gotta go to Lowes  :P  Yea I remember them having holes already because when I was a wee little Lassie I use to put different colors in them for the effect when smokin the funny stuff...ya know?! Remember....WHEN I WAS YOUNGER OF COARSE!  :P

Dazzel

I've done a few of these for Christmas presents, I didn't know that had those with holes. But, if you drill into the ones without holes they can and do explode. I had a couple break in my hand while holding them on the drill press. A slow speed seemed to work better than a fast one and backing off to let it cool helped also. Don't forget the safety glasses.

Peabody

Guest fivestar

I've sold hundreds of these with our locals schools names as well as other types of logos.  We drill holes in them with drill bits similar to what someone else posted.

I've done a few of these for Christmas presents, I didn't know that had those with holes. But, if you drill into the ones without holes they can and do explode. I had a couple break in my hand while holding them on the drill press. A slow speed seemed to work better than a fast one and backing off to let it cool helped also. Don't forget the safety glasses.

Peabody

I just used a cordless drill. The bits I used are meant to be used wet. I just used a spray bottle. I have seen the bits with a pointed tip for glass and I could see them making the glass break. I would shy away from them and go with the diamond ones.

Peabody

Hubby did 2 cases with no problem ..Used diamond but and water..

My sister-in-law did 40 of these blocks at Christmas. I think she even had to keep adding water on the drilling hole as she drilled. They were beautiful though!

I did use the bit for cutting ceramics and water. This helped a great deal, but i still had a couple implode, but once I slowed down the drill press it worked out.

It's the trip not the destination that makes it fun.  :P

Peabody

I did use the bit for cutting ceramics and water. This helped a great deal, but i still had a couple implode, but once I slowed down the drill press it worked out.

It's the trip not the destination that makes it fun.   :P

Peabody

Yeah best to not use a lot pressure also..Thanks

Are those just christmas lights in there?  Did you drill a hole for each light?  Then wire it from the underside? 

azdecals