wasatchcars

Should I buy heat transfer?

I am concidering buying some heat transfer to try doing shirts.

But my supplier does not sell by the yard I need to buy a roll $35.

My question is I only have a iron.

I only plan on doing logos above shirt pockets ( to start off with )

Only having a iron am I wasting my time & money?

Will I need a special transfer tape or will my regular tape work?

No tape needed for heat transfers. I don't know about using an iron though. I have heard people say that it will work but I have always used a heat press. Maybe you can get a sample of it from one of the suppliers to test it out?

The problem using an iron is with getting the right temperature (or consistent temperature) and the proper pressure needed to apply heat transfer vinyl.  There are some transfer papers that would probably work with an iron.  If money is an issue, I would recommend getting a low-end heat press to get started with and move up from there.

To be honest, i wouldn't begin to do shirts if i only had a iron. I always like to do my best to do it right, or don't do it at all.

A heat press can be bought for only a couple hundred and a iron just won't get hot enough and apply even pressure all over the print.

I live in Utah and price is not the issue I just dont want to spend $35 and toss it in the closet.

I guess I should just step up and buy a press but I cant see myself doing that many shirts.

but when I bought my cutter all I thaught I would do was lettering and now I do things I never thaught I would

Thanks for the help

You can do it with an iron. High heat, high pressure. If you're only doing small lettering and small orders, smart choice. If you plan on bigger designs or bigger orders - get a heat press.