Sign in to follow this  
TonyF

Crazy Diaganol Cut Lines from SignCut X2

Hey there guys, just wandering if any of you gurus out there can help. I'm currently trying to produce vinyl banners using a redsail R1360c. Im creating artowrk in corel 11 (or x3) converting to outlines and exporting as an AI7 file. Opening the AI7 file in signcut X2 fine, no problems at all. Cutter settings are set to Handshaking (Software XON YON, as recommended by distirbutor). From there we have a new USB2.0 to RS232 convertor then into a 9 pin and to cutter.

Problem I keep getting is usually on larger jobs. The banners are 4m in length so ideally would like to cut in 1 but even if I split the artwork to 2m still keep getting this problem: The cutter will start cutting fine and then part way through the job it just seems to give up cutting, drags large amounts of vinyl through wasting it and then will continue to cut further on down the job leaving large chunks of artwork missing. In cutter settings Baud is 9600 Parity is NONE Databits is 8 and stopbits is 1. All that mumbo jumbo is over my head but if anyone at all has got any ideas what's going on I'd be more than greatful. My distributor in the UK is holiday for 2 weeks and have to get these jobs out - have tried redsail direct in China with no feedback either.

Many thanks anyway - Tony

You could try lowering the baud on the cutter and in SignCut to 4800. You could also try another connection method if you RedSail has the option, like maybe LPT1. Other than that, I am not sure which way to point you because we do not sell the RedSail cutter. It sounds like a communication breakdown between the software and cutter. Also you could try saving the file in .eps format instead of .ai, and then trying to cut with SignCut.

hey there, thanks for your response. The manual says we need to use the rs232 into usb and not the lpt1 port for some reason but I will certainly give your suggestions of dropping the baud rate and using an .eps instead. I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks for your help and suggestions - regards Tony

hey there guys i tried both with no sucess (individually and as a combination) I set the baud rate to 4800 on the cutter, in signcut cutter settings and in the print driver then tried an eps. unfortunately made it worse. so tried it at 4800 as an ai - same result and then tried an ai at 4800 - still no joy. Does anyone think maybe something is shot in the cutter and needs returning or is it more likely something I'm doing wrong? any help most grateful

The static electricity issue has hampered our cutters ability at times, but not sure if it does for the RedSail or not.

Yes, static electricity could be a cause. When air is dry and the stand is on a carpet the risk for static electricity is high.

When cut outs is long and it feeds a lot forth and back, static electricity is built up.

If the plotter is grounded the risk is reduced.

But even though that likely is the cause for the case described here it is important to follow the manufactures recommendation to use 4800 Baud when the USB to serial converter outlet is used.

Else the cause could be a kind of handshaking problem. There has been an arguing if this is a fault or not. But as the vendor recommends 4800 Baud it is not, it is just a limitation as that outlet is used. The fenomena occurs when a buffer memory becomes empty. We tested many softwares to see if others had found a limitation pass by. But we did not find any, all of them behaved in the same way.

So to be sure to not vaste vinyl the manufacture recommendation of 4800 Baud setting should be followed.