Fbomb

Pricing for specialty vinyl (not stocked)?

Just wondering what you guys do if a customer wants, lets say, reflective vinyl on a few shirts...Basically, if you can't get the material by the yard and a minimum roll is expensive...Do you just bite the bullet and keep the rest in inventory or do you charge them for a roll or is there a standard addition mark up you put on the price?

I have that problem all the time.  I do not stock allot of different material, I like keeping my overhead down because it is my side business.

If the job is large enough, I will usually try and make enough to pay for the specialty materials I need to order.  This way I build up my supplies.

(Customer wants a banner in a size that I do not have.  I order 3 banners in that size, one for the customer and 2 for back stock.  I charge enough to pay for all 3 banners, and make my money in future banner sales)

If the job is not going to pay enough to purchase a new product, then I try to sell the customer a different product, bid it higher because of the special order, or bid it out.

You could try the sell/swap section to see if you can get a smaller quantity from some one on the forums also.

(Sorry for the long reply)  :thumbsup:

if its a speciality vinyl, i use my 200% markup in vinyl plus an additional 40%  That way i make my money for it and try to buy what i need for the job...  Some of the cheaper Reflective i try and stock because ill use it sooner or later!

if its a speciality vinyl, i use my 200% markup in vinyl plus an additional 40%  That way i make my money for it and try to buy what i need for the job...  Some of the cheaper Reflective i try and stock because ill use it sooner or later!

That's similar to what i do as well, mark it up alot more than white or black vinyl which is a standard at my shop. The customer will either A) understand since it's a special order product or :thumbsup: go else ware or use something you normally stock

I know a guy who stocks literally 30-40 rolls of vinyl ranging from just about every color shade in each color. I think thats a waste if it takes you years to use it which then it's more likely to go bad due to shelf life time which is around 1 year usually.

i try to keep all colors but since i have a vinyl supply company only 10 min away, i just get it fresh from them.  im talking about like ultra metallic, carbon fiber, and other specialty films!

So your 200% + 40% pricing, would you do 200% of the price and then 40% of that or plus another 40% of the original cost?

I really like playing with different ideas and specialty products. I am just afraid of biting off more than I can chew pitching different ideas, only to get a small order...

ill mark up all vinyls 200% of original price...  so what i do for specialty vinyls is 240% of cost!

Yea, I keep a small selection of vinyl in stock, but if someone wants something out of the ordinary then I'll mark it up something feirce, also take a 50% deposit prior to ordering the stock.  Deposit would be non-refundable too.

I sell vinyl buy the yard and foot.

Heat Transfer and Specialty Films

Just send me a PM

Thanks

brad

Good to know! I will keep you in mind if need arises...