Sign in to follow this  
LakeshoreVinylExpressions

New to the business

Hi everyone! My wife and I are just getting into the vinyl cutting business. We are located in West Michigan. Our focus will probably interior vinyl, car and window decals, and coroplast signs and banners. We've got a Creation P-Cut and we're designing with Publisher and cutting with Signblazer.

I already have a friend asking for a quote on 400 decals ;). They're 2"x3" and he needs them RTA. Any ideas on what I should quote him? TheSignExpert said $17?.00. and the $9/sqft rule comes in around $160 ish. Having no experience whatsoever your ideas would be very helpful. We are also wondering what the best way to apply that much tape is AND how to cut the vinyl into individual decals neatly and efficiently.

I am also wondering what it generally takes to get a small business started. What do we need besides vinyl, application tape, a computer, and a cutter?

I absolutely LOVE this forum! You folks are so helpful. Reading through so many of the posts makes me feel more at ease about getting into this line of work. Thanks in advance for your advice that I will undoubtedly take and benefit from.

Welcome to USCutter from Jersey   ;):);D

What you need is Computer, Cutter, Vinyl, App Tape, Squeegees, Xacto Knife and a nice pair of scissors!

I've done mass production of vinyl with my PCUT.  Very simple, just cut 3 to 5 vinyls at a time, basically enough to make a complete row, then just keep cutting.  After 4 rows, cut them off and weed them.  then just apply app tape from the center out.  We have plenty of tutorials on how to do things, just look in that section.

I've been in the sign business for 4 years and now im getting into actual illuminated cabinet installs with the purchase of our first bucket truck/crane!

As for quoting, i use a program called Estimate.  easy to work with and a great program all together!

Welcome to USCutter from Jersey   :huh:;D:P

What you need is Computer, Cutter, Vinyl, App Tape, Squeegees, Xacto Knife and a nice pair of scissors!

I've done mass production of vinyl with my PCUT.  Very simple, just cut 3 to 5 vinyls at a time, basically enough to make a complete row, then just keep cutting.  After 4 rows, cut them off and weed them.  then just apply app tape from the center out.  We have plenty of tutorials on how to do things, just look in that section.

I've been in the sign business for 4 years and now im getting into actual illuminated cabinet installs with the purchase of our first bucket truck/crane!

As for quoting, i use a program called Estimate.  easy to work with and a great program all together!

I checked out Estimate. Not quite ready to invest that much though. I'm not doing big projects or cabinets, this is more of a part-time thing. I've been working on a spreadsheet though after reading several other discussions, getting quotes from other businesses, and by checking online calculators. I think I'm getting it figured out pretty well.

Thanks for the advice on cutting the large amount of decals. It was a little overwhelming to get such a large order for my first order.  Haven't started the work yet but now I'm confident I can do a high quality job efficiently.

Thanks! :)

Welcome lakeshore!

If you do a search on youtube for vinyl cutting etc you will get alot of great videos on how to's! This forum alone is a wealth of information!

Renee

Welcome to the forum Lakeshore,  you have definitely come to the right place to get the help and support you need to get  your business going.

I agree that's a large order with you just beginning, but I'm sure it will go well....The more detailed your friends design the more time it will take at first.

There are always something you could add to your collection for vinyl cutting, but some may be wants more then needs!

I love having a self healing cutting mat and a roller cutter, now you don't need that, but it makes things easier.

The most important thing is enjoy what you do and it will show in your work.

Jenny