Sign in to follow this  
chrisj

How can I start a vinyl lettering business?

I'd like to start a business creating/applying vinyl lettering for retail business shop/store windows.

Is this market/industry saturated? Or is their room for competition?

What is the least expensive way to cut vinyl lettering to stick on to shop/store windows?

Would the vinyl be applied from the inside of the window or outside?

What's the best way/tips to get the words spaced correctly and level?

Can you give me an idea of how much vinyl will cost me per letter, and how much to typically mark up the vinyl material?

How much for tools/cutter up to 24" letters?

Thanks.

I would start by reading existing posts on this forum. Most of your questions will be answered. There is a wealth of information here.

welcome

start-up us cutter Laserpoint 24", tools-squeege,twizers,exato knife, vinyl start 5 rolls practice,software comes with cutter-signblazer,download free to practice before you get your cutter.

start up cost around 500.00

hope this helps

To Jay2703 reply: Thanks for your replies. Yes, there is a wealth of info on this forum, and I have viewed the posts and gone back a year, but didn't find answers to my questions, and anyway I'd like current opionions/answers/suggestions please.

To Rhino Graphics reply: Thanks for your input.

Am very interested in more replies and answers to my questions. Thanks.

my experience:

The big sign shops don't want the little jobs...or if they do, they make the customer wait for weeks. I was turning a profit from Day #1 by offering competative pricing  but with fast service and the 'no job too small' attitude.

Before I started doing our own banners,the only shop in town was usually a 2-3 week wait for one banner, it was always priced high, the guy never made ANY effort to talk to me about fonts,colors,etc...in fact in a one year period, I never actually met him,had to deal with his wife...because he was out somewhere with his bucket truck making the big money. When I asked her to see some font or graphic samples,she looked at me as if I had asked her to wash my truck.

In short...god,fast service+ reasonable prices,and you will do well. Never,EVER turn a job down because it isn't a big one.

I'd like to start a business creating/applying vinyl lettering for retail business shop/store windows.

Is this market/industry saturated? Or is their room for competition?

What is the least expensive way to cut vinyl lettering to stick on to shop/store windows?

Would the vinyl be applied from the inside of the window or outside?

What's the best way/tips to get the words spaced correctly and level?

Can you give me an idea of how much vinyl will cost me per letter, and how much to typically mark up the vinyl material?

How much for tools/cutter up to 24" letters?

Thanks.

Welcome  ;)

Great business to start and yes the Market is saturated ... however there is always room for competition. :rolleyes:

Least expensive and great way to do just lettering (in my opinion) is get a cutter MH721 from USCUTTER.

You can apply vinyl to either outside OR inside you just need to mirror the image if doing the inside so customers can see it correctly.

Cost per letter has (from my experience) been questionable in this forum for some time...every state/city is different so it depends. Mark-ups depend on the value of your time.

The rest I think Rhino spelled it out for you.

Good Luck on your venture and keep reading the "latest" updates here.

Dazzel

my experience:

The big sign shops don't want the little jobs...or if they do, they make the customer wait for weeks. I was turning a profit from Day #1 by offering competative pricing  but with fast service and the 'no job too small' attitude.

Before I started doing our own banners,the only shop in town was usually a 2-3 week wait for one banner, it was always priced high, the guy never made ANY effort to talk to me about fonts,colors,etc...in fact in a one year period, I never actually met him,had to deal with his wife...because he was out somewhere with his bucket truck making the big money. When I asked her to see some font or graphic samples,she looked at me as if I had asked her to wash my truck.

In short...god,fast service+ reasonable prices,and you will do well. Never,EVER turn a job down because it isn't a big one.

Like BannerJohn said, NEVER turn business down.  Make sure to satisfy the customer.  I started with Sign repair & Vinyl Graphics about a year ago.  Now i just started getting into sign cabinet and channel lettering install!  My sign cabinets aren't built so i have plenty of time for repair work and vinyl work between sign installations...  and remember, your time is always worth something, dont give away design time!

many years ago when I had my upholstery shop...every so often someone would come in with a cushion that had a small rip in the seam, or a button missing. It took me 5 minutes or less to fix. Depending on whether it was before or after lunch, I would either charge $2 or nothing at all. I would estimate that 95% of the time, I got a big upholstery job out of that person eventually.people remember you when you do favors for them,or don't gouge them.

And yes, back then $2 would buy lunch.

ummm $2 lunch... ;)  NOW I DONT EVEN GET 2 DBL CHEESEBURGERS AT Mickey D's for 2 bucks!....  DAMN SALES TAX!  :rolleyes:

You young guys just kill me. When I was 10,my grandmother would give me .50 cents and send me to the Jiffy...that bought 2 mini-burgers,an order of fries,and a drink.

well, my first real job paid $1.50 an hour. That's about $56 take home,per week for 40 hours. I bought a NEW car for $1799 ( $68 a month for 3 years)..my rent was $99 a month, gas was .30 cents a gallon, and the basic McDonald's Hamburger was 20 cents,maybe 25. You could take a girl to a movie for $6 (Including popcorn and drinks).

Things haver gone up...WAY up,but wagesd haven't kept pace. You could still buy more then with your money than you can now. But the ebst part was...people seldom locked their front doors and a murder or rape was so rare it was front page news..and if you stayed away from the 'seedy' part of town, robbery was unheard of.

One bad part...you had to marry a girl to have sex with her.

I have a friend who has a home shop and he told me that if someone wants a $100 or so job he tells them that they are not high priority and makes them wait weeks until things slow down before he gets to them. I would NEVER turn down business. If someone has a $20 job i get right to them as quick as i can. Every bit helps, Figure if you get 10 $20 small jobs a month thats $200 more which is alot in my book when bills are due  :rolleyes:

I never turn down small jobs!  I agree with you John!

I don't mind taking alot of small jobs, cause they do add up quickly!!

Of course! When i get too good to do small jobs, someone kick me and remind me where i came from!  :rolleyes:

I have a friend who has a home shop and he told me that if someone wants a $100 or so job he tells them that they are not high priority and makes them wait weeks until things slow down before he gets to them. I would NEVER turn down business. If someone has a $20 job i get right to them as quick as i can. Every bit helps, Figure if you get 10 $20 small jobs a month thats $200 more which is alot in my book when bills are due  :rolleyes:

Your friend has a lot to learn.The economy is getting worse by the day,and people like him will be the first ones to go. When he needs groceries and has zero in his pocket,that small job will look mighty good.

Of course! When i get too good to do small jobs, someone kick me and remind me where i came from!  ;)

YOU GOT IT!!  :rolleyes:

Of course! When i get too good to do small jobs, someone kick me and remind me where i came from!  ;)

YOU GOT IT!!  :rolleyes:

If i get too good for small jobs, ill buy another computer, cutter and hire someone to take on the extra jobs!

$500.00 will get you started call or email ken from uscutter.com im sure he will help you out with any of your questions..

Your friend has a lot to learn.The economy is getting worse by the day,and people like him will be the first ones to go. When he needs groceries and has zero in his pocket,that small job will look mighty good.

Well, hes like this because he brings in over $10k a month which to me is insane lol

Well, hes like this because he brings in over $10k a month which to me is insane lol

I have friends that pay $10k a month in sales tax!  now that's insane!

I'm willing to start with bringing in $10,000/m and progressing to paying that much in taxes /m  :-

i just started 2 months ago and small jobs payed for my cutter and start stuff first 2 weeks all i am doing is small stuff $10 here $ 10 there have had 1 big job $500 it justs takes time to make it big but i like doing the small stuff i can look out the window for 2 mins and see something i did go down the road the other shops hate me o well i am making money they do not like small stuff and are high could not do it with out this forum thanks