Sign in to follow this  
Larryc39

Test Rectangle issues and small size inaccuracies...

Was in the other forum, suggested to post here for Ken to look at.

I've never gotten the hang of using the plotter, I mainly use it for larger 4-5" block shapes and the minor issues were ignorable.  I'm trying to cut some smaller graphics lately and these are giving me a problem.  First, is this graphic in the photo cuttable on the LP24?  It's some sans serif fonts, converted to curves in CorelDraw, outer dimensions 1" x 3".

On my larger items there was always a slight pucker when the ends met, sort of like a small J mark.  Changing the blade offset in SB to 0.25 seemed to reduce this.  For cutting smaller things, I've tried pressures from 70-120, 120 seemed a little better, and taken the speed all the way down to 10. I've got the blade set almost all the way into the holder, I can barely see the tip and it's juuust cutting through the vinyl any less and I don't think it'd be weedable.  When it cuts the small letters, normally straight solid characters come out looking like a cartoon all curvy and bendy. 

What else should I try?  I ran test 1 on the machine, it created the small box cut but that also seems to close with the J-edge.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/larryc39/misc%20junk/plotter1.jpg

plotter1.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/larryc39/misc%20junk/plotter2.jpg

plotter2.jpg

No, I'll have to order one to try.  Is the test rectangle OK like that shape, or should it be more rectangular on the corners?

Truth be told, none of my "test" box cuts have a sharp 90-degree corner, but it doesn't bother me.

I have cut a couple of signs for a friend. The font was arial and the cutter cut the straight edges and corners on the money. The corners were sharp and tight.

If you're expecting sharp, tight corners for that sign plate then I highly suggest that you do the layout in SBE and not cut a vector of the image, unless of course you're willing to clean up the nodes to get them precisely lined up.

This is probably a question more for another forum, but how does doing a drawing directly in SBE differ from importing a vector shape made in a regular graphics program?

I'll try some more experiments this weekend when I have time.

It's like reprinting a photograph from a photograph versus printing up the photograph from the original negative (or slide).

If you have text, it will usually be cleaner cutting direct as each letter is a vector itself, rather than a photo that has been vectorized. Chances are the photo will not be as clean cut as the text directly in SBE. In photos you have various shade (anti-alias), and depending on the settings of the program you are usuing, those can be included in the vector too, making it a bit more 'fuzzy'. Anti-alias is what makes edges in graphics look smoother rather than pixelated.

While you might not be getting sharp corners during your test, I encourage you to cut that vectored image, than cut it again with the layout done entirely in SBE, you should see the difference then.

In Corel I am drawing this directly as vectors, all the rectangles, curves etc.  The fonts are converted to vector shapes before exporting to SBE.  It sounds like what's really needed is a printer driver sort of application as I suspect that's what a lot of us are using SBE only for anyways. 

(No blades this weekend, hopefully they come the next day or so!)

In Corel I am drawing this directly as vectors, all the rectangles, curves etc.  The fonts are converted to vector shapes before exporting to SBE.  It sounds like what's really needed is a printer driver sort of application as I suspect that's what a lot of us are using SBE only for anyways. 

(No blades this weekend, hopefully they come the next day or so!)

"The fonts are converted to vector shapes..." <- My point, it is being converted.

I can't say that I use SBE exclusively for all my cutting needs, but if there are any text that needs to be done, I know (for myself) that text done in SBE produces the sharpest, cleanest cuts. I often tweak things in PhotoShop and Illy, but those would be graphics, unless a text is not available to me. Drawing in vector is going to get you the cleanest cuts, you asked about fonts, and I've tried to provide an alternative for you.

Do whatever you want to do, your way. You came, asked for help, I've tried - but it sounds like you're pretty resistant, so good luck.

I'm sorry but I've spent years in Corel and only hours in SBE. I don't really have time to learn a third, specialized "graphic" software.  One thing I did do was direct copy and paste my images.  I don't know if exporting to EPS and importing to SBE will be different, IE which format the clipboard handles the data interchange with.

Waiting for my 60

you might also want to remove the left end cover on the plotter and check the material feed drive belt tension. mine was way sloppy. the pen does not have as much drag on the paper as does the knife in the vinyl. i tightened the belt and wow what a difference.

bb

one other thought, have you considered trying screen printing?

bb