haumana

.pvw & previews

Are the .pvw file necessary for SBE to fuction?

Also, outside of rotating my images upside down in Illy, is there a way for SBE to display the thumbnails right side up and not in the negative? (my thumbnails look white on black).

The .pvw file that SBE makes is just it preview version... why it makes the files and junks up your files/computer with them all doesn't make sense, versus just actually "previewing" the file like Flexi and other programs?!?!

The second question... I don't think there's a way around that, other than buying Flexi starter and getting rid of SBE!

(I loved SBE when I first started out, but now that I'm learning Flexi more and more... I see why people bash SBE)

Thanks for the info ... now it's a tough toss - trial version with the nag and without the .pvw files or the cracked 6.05 version without the trial nag.

;D

Has anyone tried the upgrade in the above link with their existing version of SBE? I currently have the full license on my laptop, but am afraid to run that update if it's going to ask for an activation code again ... being as SBE is basically belly up in the business world.

And on that note, does anyone know why the update to v.6.0.24 would not produce the .pvw files, the UK v.6.0.5 does? I would have thought that once it was fixed, that would be it.

i did the upgrade and it stopped the .pvw files from loading ;D ;D

regards duke

if you don't want previews to be generated, put a check in the previews box on the save screen.

bb

A easy way to delete the .pvw files once in a while is to open 'Run' from the 'Start Menu', then type in 'cmd' the get to a command prompt.

type in 'del X:*.pvw /S /Q' (without quotes)  'X' = the drive letter containing your graphics.  The '/S' switch means you can start at the root of the drive and the command will drill down through all your subdirectories.  The '/Q' switch means that the command will run quietly - i.e. it will not ask you for confirmation before deleting files.

Or, the attached text file can be edited for your drive letter, saved, and then the file extension changed from .txt to .bat - then, just double-click on the new .bat file and it will do all the heavy lifting for you.  The .bat file has a pause - 'Hit any Key' at the end so you'll have chance to see yout results.  Without the 'pause', the command window would automatically close once the deleting was complete.

A couple notes: 

1. These files will be DELETED - not sent to the recycle bin -gone.  Be sure your typing is correct.

2. This command will not look inside .zip files.

SBE will generate new .pvw files as you use it and when there get to be too many again - you can easily delete them.

Personally, the .pvw files don't bother me at all, but I know they bother a lot of folks.

delete preview files.txt

delete preview files.txt

Thanks for the info ... now it's a tough toss - trial version with the nag and without the .pvw files or the cracked 6.05 version without the trial nag.

What if you ran the update on the cracked 6.05 version?

Okay, so here's what I discovered - for whatever little value it has.

The cracked (UK) version v.6.05 seems to be the most recent release that I can get my hands on. The crack works and it completely removes the "Trial" mode nag. HOWEVER, .pvw files are generated when previewing the files during the import process, AND it also previews the files as white on black (even though my graphics are always black on white).

The version the does away with the .pvw issue is v.6.0.24. while I don't have a crack for, or know of one for that version, the fact that it doesn't create the .pvw file is worth using the Trial Mode of this version. There are times when I just park an graphic on my desktop for a quick cut, and now I won't have a bunch of .pvw files if I happen to have multiple graphics on my desktop.  :huh:

As far as unselecting the preview box during the import process of SBE, yes that is an option, but I can't say that I have all my graphics memorized by names and rely on the preview to make sure that I'm importing the right thing. Unfortunately I don't have a printed catalog of my vector images, that would just be too easy  ;D

I have tried installing v.6.05, cracking it, than installing the no preview "update," but since it truly isn't an update it basically down grades to v.6.0.24 and comes back with the Trial Mode nag screen.

And there you have it. My two-cents, and that's probably all that it's worth.