Sign in to follow this  
metatrox

oracal 5 yard starter pack?

hey everyone!! I need to get a good starter pack with multiple colors. I want to use oracal because I have heard it's great stuff. Unfortunately I don't wanna spend the money for the 10 yard kit on uscutter. Anyone know where I can get a 5 yard kit?

Dont know about the 5 yard starter pack but if you signup on Oracals site https://www.oracal.com/members/signup.asp you can request samples they are 8.5x11 inch samples but it will give you a feel for the different products as well as I think they offer a color chart (the $10 one for free). When starting off you could build your own starter pack get basic colors white, black, red, blue, yellow, green. you will find what colors you use and dont use over time. White is one you may as well get a 50 yard roll off the bat because it is going to get used. You can also get 15 inch rolls to work with at first. I only have white and etched in 24 inch everything else is 15. its easier to build a color variety with 15 being a little cheaper.

Dont know about the 5 yard starter pack but if you signup on Oracals site https://www.oracal.com/members/signup.asp you can request samples they are 8.5x11 inch samples but it will give you a feel for the different products as well as I think they offer a color chart (the $10 one for free). When starting off you could build your own starter pack get basic colors white, black, red, blue, yellow, green. you will find what colors you use and dont use over time. White is one you may as well get a 50 yard roll off the bat because it is going to get used. You can also get 15 inch rolls to work with at first. I only have white and etched in 24 inch everything else is 15. its easier to build a color variety with 15 being a little cheaper.

GREAT POST! I spent hours yesterday trying to decide wht colors to start with for my first order of vinyl. I wish I'd seen your post before. I did order the same colors you mentioned, plus 8 or so more...Maybe overkill...

i started with 24" 10yd rolls about a year ago and now i have quite a vinyl collection.  But it did cost quite a bit to build it up.  I know now i use 15" for colors i dont use as often or specialty colors.  i only buy 24" rolls and bigger for jobs that need to be a non-seam job!

Oracal will send sample rolls if you contact them & ask as will most other manufacturers, I have received 10 ft rolls, 10 yard rolls, & even a 15' x 50 yard roll for free from various companies, just hunt them down, find the customer service link, & politely explain that you are new to the sign business & would like to try their product, I even had one company tell me that they don't send short roll samples, & I told them that their competition does, & they sent out a short roll of silver & a short roll of reflective white.  Also there is a form you can print out from Avery, & they will send whatever you want up to three rolls per address per calendar year, had a couple of rolls sent to a friends house, a couple of rolls sent to my mother in law's house a couple sent to my house.  I probably have twenty rolls that I have gotten for free.  One was a 10 yard x 24" of 3M with clear backing, and the other from 3M was a 15"x50yard roll of ScotchCal 50, some really expensive stuff.  Just be polite.  Now I have rolls of transfer tape on the way from several companies as well.  They love to send out samples so that you will love their product & use it.

here is one example or transfer tape manufacturers.  http://www.maintape.com/request_samples.php

Great info here....:huh: I see another day on the internet doing research! I have spent so much time here the past week because of all the good info and links, one of these days i will catch up LOL!!

Renee

You could also call our Sales department and speak with Max or Karl, and if the starter packs we offer is not what you are looking for, we still might be able to set you up with what you are looking for.

:angel: