Sign in to follow this  
sandman

image help

This may be to much to ask but I'm trying to duplicate some particular car numbers and not having much luck. If I could find the exact font used on the originals it would be easy but I can't find them so I'm trying to do it from an image. No matter how I clean the image up or what format I save it in the edges get a little distorted. I'm using PSP 6 for image work and SBE, on a Creation P Cut 630. I have been importing the image, resizing, convert to monochrome, and then vectorizing. The only reason I am resizing it is to test draw a small version with the pen so I quit wasting vinyl. From one of the other threads I've learned I need to drag the original off the work space and delete it. When I get in the cut screen I select both colors so it will cut the inlines and outlines.

I'm starting with a picture of the side of Parnelli Jones 1970 Boss 302 Trans Am car.

15.jpg

Here is the way it ends up after saving it. It does the same thing if I save it in EPS as it does in JPG so I'll post the jpeg version. I can work for hours cleaning up the lines but when I save it and reopen it the edges are jagged. This image is the actual size I need it to be if I ever get it to cut right. I resize it to do my pen test on the cutter.

15-art.jpg

Here is a scanned copy of how it cuts. It actually cuts pretty good for the quality of the image but it cuts all these extra lines that will make it look bad and difficult to weed.

width=583 height=600http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/roadracingmustang/sign-images/15-cut.jpg[/img]

If anybody has the time and know how to fix this so it will cut in the original size as the second image above I would be forever grateful. Orrrr if you know where I can find these exact fonts that would work too. I've found similar fonts but I want the finished product to look just like the original.

In the end I will be cutting the black and red parts in vinyl and applying that to white static cling. Getting the red number outline and the black circle outline applied will be another great challenge.

I'll try and remember to post it tonight but it looks and works exactly like the jpg. I wasn't sure if the eps version would display on the web.

it won't display, just a link for download. it will just save us time and help us to see what you have on your end.

bb

your image did not upload.

bb

if you just click on 'here it is' it downloads

Thanks!

I'll give it a try tonight.

My old Paint Shop Pro must just not be capable of saving a clean copy. I'll have it looking great and save it then when I reopen it looks all scruffy again.

cutme,

It drew perfectly. All I had to do was import it, resize, and send to the cutter for the test draw. What program did you use to fix it?

When I work on images in PSP no matter how I save them I have to import, monochrome, vectorize, and they never seem to look or cut right, even when I save them in eps format.

:thumbsup: Thanks again! :thumbsup:

i used signblazer. what i did was used the poly line tool to trace it manually. then i used th node editor to adjust the lines to look smooth. then i threw out the old image. it doesn't take long after you get the hang of it. i have found the results to be better than trying to vectorize it.

bb

I'll have to try that. I was afraid you were going to tell me to get Adobe Illustrator or something. I have CS3 at work and I hate it.

BTW I just cut the two colors full size and they look great. Now I have to transfer the red number outlines to the black numbers, mask the whole thing and transfer it all to the white static cling circles. Any tips on lining up the outlines or doing any of this would be another big help. If I screw this up I'll have to use my old numbers this weekend.  :thumbsup:

That helps a lot too.

My problem now is I didn't install the marks to line the two layers up with. Is that what I read people reffering to as registration marks? I'll try to figure out how to do it manually.

did you download the color seperation i put together for you this morning?

bb

I just did but I don't know how it can help since I already cut and weeded the project. All I have to do is get the red number outlines lined up with the black numbers. I think I'll try to remove the backing on the red and apply them to wax paper then line them up to transfer to the black stuff. After that I should be home free.

I'm to low on supplies now to recut the project but this has all helped tremendously and will pay off in the future.

I really appreciate all the help and effort you put into this.

this forum is the reason i try to help others. i have received tons of help and info from everyone here. so i try to pay it forward when i can. where do you race? pictures?

bb

• Like 1

I mostly run autocross these days. I used to run a little open track stuff but funds are short for that these days.

Here are a few pics of me running the autocross course at the Steeda 20th anniversary event.

steeda20th002.jpg

width=800 height=537http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/roadracingmustang/steeda20th004.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=537http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/roadracingmustang/steeda20th001.jpg[/img]

Here are a few track video links:

Road Atlanta

sweet! not only are you in a fast car, but you are a fast driver. nice work! :thumbsup: sebring sure is rough! i used to race on a 1/8 mile dirt oval just for fun. it was a real thrill. i have been involved in racing in many forms over the years. but now, not so much. hope you have fun this weekend! :thumbsup:

bb

This one might be a little cleaner

Thanks but this project is done. The one cutme did worked great. I'm just no sign guy, can't seem to get the outlines to line up perfect but they pass the 50' rule just fine. I'm actually pretty happy with the way they turned out even if I didn't get the placements perfect.

New Numbers:

IMG_1071.jpg

The plaque:

ava-trophy-08.jpg

numbers look great :thumbsup: congratulations on the "trophy" another one to add to the collection.

bb