derrick1217

Newbie - requesting help!

I am looking to learn as much as possible - I am currently a screen printer.

Never used a vinyl cutter - but was at a printing seminar in Chicago a few months ago and met a representive from Roland - who showed me there products - I was impressed but I am not in the position to make a $ 9 - $15,000 committment for one of there machines - requardless of the monthly payments - I not willing to commit.

I am not sure what size cutter - I should purchase or what options , I should be looking for and request help from members here to assist me in this purchase.

I am looking at making advertisment posters & signs - as stated before I am a clothing printer, so I am planning on using it for making numbers and names for clothing and jerseys. I not sure of the media I will be using so, I need help in determining which one of these machines to purchase,

I suggest a Copam ( 24" ) which is the 1rst commercial grade cutter USCutter sells . Hands down best price , tech & forum help  with USCutter . I don't know anything about the GraphTecs .

Thank you for the reply !

Since posting my question, I have read the other posting in pre-sales and other listings and it showed the laser printers as recent award winner or mentioned as outstanding. I bidded on a 24 inch laser, and lost the bidding and for a few dollars more bidded on a 42 inch laser and won the auction, then checking my emails it appeared that someone changed there mind and I won the 24 inch laser after receiving the sorry you did not win email - I received a message telling me I had won most likely they received my last min bid increase and processed it?

Now my problem will be deciding on which one to purchase, explain the matter and send off the pay payment in the morning.

make sure that it isnt some sort of second chance scam . I would contact USCutter directly before paying for either cutter  ( if I'm understanding it right , VERY tired & heading to dream zone  :angel: )

Depending on the price difference, you are probably better off with the 24"...Keep in mind you'll need start up supplies too (the price difference will take care of that). Also keep in mind that if you really plan on doing names/numbers you'll need a heat press to apply them. A 42" would be more ideal if you know what you are doing and plan on being more of a vinyl cutter vs. a screen printer.

I am/was in the same shoes as you...A screen printer, graphic artist who got into vinyl as a supplement to services I can offer. If the business is there for you, the machine will pay for itself in no time (as it did for me). Once that happens, you are in the plus with your feet wet and can always start over and reinvest in a larger more expensive machine vs. having an expensive paperwieght if things don't pan out.

I went with the laserpoint too, figuring if I ever wanted to contour cut, I'd have the capability (even though I doubt I'll get into that).

Best of luck!

Thank you!  Fbomb!

I am going to take your advice and go with the 24 inch laser, I have a heat press and hat press already that I use for digital pictures transfers and I make plastasol transfers also, I only have a ink jet printer that prints 17X19 maximum media looking for a wide format printer also a 24 inch due to the fact this is the largest media my  27 inch double side laminator will handle, but the main thing I need to know is the learning curve involved in using the cutter.

After the cutting, my thoughts is that I use a strong tape and pull the cut out off from the orginal sheet and place the adhesive backed image on the project.

Can I print on the vinly in advance either with my wide format hp printer and laminated it or use a silcone based sealer  or silk screen the vinly prior to cutting?

I am just attempting to find out the limitations!

After the cutting, my thoughts is that I use a strong tape and pull the cut out off from the orginal sheet and place the adhesive backed image on the project.

Can I print on the vinly in advance either with my wide format hp printer and laminated it or use a silcone based sealer  or silk screen the vinly prior to cutting?

I am just attempting to find out the limitations!

The only limitation is the 24". But you already figured that out...You are correct about the tape (application tape). Look throught the videos here or on youtube, search "vinyl application" and you'll get the just of it.

You would have to buy special printable vinyl if you want to print w/ the HP WF. And as far as screen printing the vinyl, I would suggest you die cut the vinyl FIRST, then break it down into sheets, the print with solvent inks (I assume you are familiar with solvent inks?).

As for a learning curve...We'll I myself am just learning, and really I don't think you EVER stop learning. Out the box you should be cutting in no time. The hardest part is assembling the stand :angel: . Really though, the hard part IMO is learning the software. But I do all my work in Corel, then export/import into Signblazer and then hit the cut button. You might want to look into other software...

You seem to know your way around...Don't worry too much about any horror stories you may have read! You will hit wrinkles, that will always happen in life. But with the support of this forum and the knowledge of the interwebz, you'll work things out!

Thank you again for your advice

The only thing that threw me was the solvent ink - I have a extra printer that I am going to explore changing the ink to solvent - at the print show in chicago i saw solvent based printer that were pretty expensive - Roland showed me there wares and the cost was really high they tried to convince me that if I financed the machine the monthly cost would be offset by the profit the machine  would make - which did not make since to me, since there is nothing guarantted in this world, and at the beginning of each month they would still expect there $415.00 for the next five years.

Thank you again, my mind is going crazy with idea's at this point - last point you stated you used corel which I have but stopped at version 10 and began using Adobe products, I now use CS2 and you stated that the drawings have to be converted to there software to cut ? You can not just cut the item using Adobe and changing the printer to the cutter?

If not which of the programs offered threw this company would you recommend that I purchase that offers the most creativity ? 

Thank you in advance for your advice - I truly value the information that you have provided

Derrick

Derrick, I meant using solvent inks to screen print onto the vinyl...A bit different from plastisol inks. They can be pretty nasty and you NEED proper gear and ventilation! You mentioned a laminator, so crossing over your printer might be more hassle than worth??? Look into solvent inks and screen printing if you are well established as a printer.

I use Corel, I have CS2 but I work faster in Corel...All I do is save my work in corel (.cdr), then export what ever I want cut as an EPS file. Then import it into Signblazer. Supposedly you can cut/paste from Corel to SB, but I've had no luck...It's pretty simple. Using Corel/Adobe for so long, I just can deal with learning a rip program to design in...

I can't really speak from experience for other programs, but I believe Flexi can be used to cut directly from Illy/Corel and there is another, I think Signcut??? search around...

Thank you again for the information:

I never used this type of ink before but rest assured I have found the ink on Union Ink's website and I am reading up about the ink and the process of using it now!

Derrick