Danieve

vinyl for jersey lettering that takes abuse/wear well

Hi,

I've been using Eco-film heat transfer vinyl for shirts, sweatshirts, etc.  When I ordered it I asked about bleed thru because I plan on doing alot of motocross & other jerseys.  I was told it would not be a problem.  Well, that isn't the case.  I just put a name and number on a customers new fox jersey (the wild one with the yellow/pink/blue/white/black) colors in it.  He wanted hot pink so I did it & the colors bled thru so bad you could hardly see the pink vinyl.  I tried putting another layer over the top but of course it did not place exactly in spots when I put the press on it.  ARGH!!!

I'm at a loss & afraid I'm going to have to buy a new jersey for him.  Can you please suggest a better vinyl to use?  Is there a way to remove the vinyl from the jersey (or other items) :thumbsup:?  HELP!!!!!  The newbie feels like she fallen in the well!

Have you tried Thermoflex Plus?

Most times once they are pressed onto the fabric it's hard to come off (which is usually a good thing)  :thumbsup:

I have seen with thermoflex if you catch the problem right after you press, if you apply a hair dryer to the vinyl and start picking it a corner you can get it to come off, this may not be the case now and because of the material it's pressed to, but it's worth a shot now.

Don't worry....we all make some mistakes along the way, heck I still do 12 months later!  :thumbsup:

the eco film does not need a lot of pressure to adhere and if ur press is too hot for the product u will get the problem ur having. thermoflex is a little heavier than eco film, therefore u will have more opacity. i use both products which led me to discover this issue. eco film is thinner, allowing it to look more like screen printing and the more u heat it, the more it melts into the fabric.

hope this helps.

Thermoflex is made for what you are doing. It's made to take the grabbing and pulling of the fabric and will actually outlast the fabric itself. Eco is more for decorated Ts. Yes, you can remove vinyl but with a chemical called methylene chloride. Removes vinyl not supposed to work with Plastisols although someone said it worked for them as well. It's about $70/gal and can be obtained through Stahl's. You may be able to also locate it at local plastics suppliers in smaller qty such as $25/Qt. If you get it allow the chemical to do the work for you. Turn the shirt inside out and apply from the back of garment. Let set for a few minutes and the vinyl will release. You may have some adhesive that remains. Reapply some more chemical to the back and rub the material against itself in that area. How do I know? I just had to remove a name from a hockey jersey. Took repeating those steps a few times but it finally worked and with no residue. All that AFTER someone else tried removing it but not getting good results. Good Luck!

Danieve,

Was just searching MOTOCROSS and found this post.  Have you gotten things figured out yet.  I have had great success with my stuff and would be willing to pass it on if you still need help.......