Sign in to follow this  
Guest fivestar

Chip Guard

Guest fivestar

Has anyone installed a product called Chip Guard?  It's a clear thick polyurethane product that is supposedly installed like vinyl.  I've gotta go look at a job tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has installed it and can give me any tips.

Thanks

no, but let us know what you find out about sources for the material. i have not been able to find it.

bb

I'm a 3M and XPEL certified installer.

Good luck.  LOL.

If you don't have a kit cut, then you have to cut on car.

It has to be stretched into place the right way.

It has to be squeegeed absolutely correctly.  If you leave behind a water bubble it almost always turns into an air pocket.

There this thing called "silvering."  It happens when microscopic air bubbles get trapped into the adhesive.  This takes practice practice practice on how to avoid.

The material cost is outrageous too.

If you plan on doing this as a career, you're going to have to jump into it headfirst.  If you just want to get your car covered this one time.....pay someone else to do it.  In the wrong hands it is far from clear.

Attached is a picture that I got from a guy bragging about how he did it himself and how well it came out.  Looked nice, until I adjusted the brightness and contrast so you can actually see the product.  It's not lined up right, it doesn't go to the edge, there's a 1/4" gap on the piece above the turn signal too.

Lastly, the $20 kits on ebay are:

1.) 3 mil clear vinyl and NOT actual paint protection film

2.) Cheaply designed kits (like the one above) that don't fit properly

post-1954-12986527794238_thumb.jpg

post-1954-12986527808988_thumb.jpg

this is why i can't find an actual source for the material.

bb

If you want a chunk to try it before you drop the $1k for a roll, let me know.

But if your customer knows what it is supposed to look like....they most likely won't accept your first attempt.  If you're just trying to cover your motorcycle tank though you'll be happy with your own work I'm sure.

i would love to get a yard of this material for a project.

bb

Guest fivestar

I installed it today and yes it's a b!tch.  They had 3M paint protection film and wanted to do some contours around a fender.  There was no way I could get it to contour, I did a very good job on the flat surfaces. 

I did this for a dealership and they had the customer come in to show them that it wouldn't go around the contour, he said to do the flat spots (Dodge pickup) and he absolutely loved it.

My adivce, stay away from this stuff.  ;) ;) ;D

I installed it today and yes it's a b!tch.  They had 3M paint protection film and wanted to do some contours around a fender.  There was no way I could get it to contour, I did a very good job on the flat surfaces. 

I did this for a dealership and they had the customer come in to show them that it wouldn't go around the contour, he said to do the flat spots (Dodge pickup) and he absolutely loved it.

My adivce, stay away from this stuff.  ;) ;) ;D

Yeah, it's not easy to get on there.  It's even harder to get it on there and have it look good.

3M certified installer locator

XPEL certified installer locator

Guest fivestar

Yup, he loved it and Darkdan I don't think I would need a professional installer for this product.  Thanks for the links though.

A friend of mine who has a sign shop on the Eastern shore of Maryland also custom paints Motorcycle tanks  ( Hardly Ablesons  ;) ) His customers love it on the tank top . Like the vinyl wraps , it doesn't do well covering everything .

Well you can't one piece a basketball with it, but I haven't ran across a vehicle that couldn't get done (some just require a lot of swearing while you're working. LOL).  The stuff is not easy, it's a heck of a learning curve.  After 3 years, I still find new stuff out.