Toografik4U

Vinyl (when you start off)

I was wondering how forum members did when you first got your plotter.  Did you buy one of these sampler packs or did you load up on orajet or avery?  I am trying to manage my money accordingly.  I haven't bought anything yet because I am trying to arrange a budget and I just would like to have an idea of what would be good to stock and what would be good to order if a job called for it.  Really I am just looking for the basic idea.

I ordered a sampler pack of Oracal 641 from SignWarehouse. (5 rolls 10 yds each) It's not the best vinyl but it was OK to start out with.

I have had good luck with them. I use mostly 15" vinyl. Until USCutter starts carrying 15" I am forced to buy from SignWarehouse. (Hint Hint) USCutter does carry 24" wide Oracal and has good prices compared to SignWarehouse. $9 flat rate shipping too.

Update, USCutter now has 1 yard samples of Siser and Oracal that are dirt cheap... I don't think they were up on the site last week... only 4.99 and 3.99 respectively.

I admit, I went to USCutter's warehouse and had a field day shopping and spent more than the cutter on vinyl...eek!

When we first started we ordered some of the free vinyl that is listed in the forum (towards the bottom) it was great for practicing for NO $$.

Than when we could we got the 'basic' colors of oracal 651.

I started by buying 4 rolls of Oracal 651. White, Black, Red, Blue.  Prices were great and only $9.99 shipping.  I also sent for free samples to try. Oracal sent me a bunch of 8x10 samples to try.  Looking back, I probably would buy a 3 year calendered vinyl in 15" to practice with.