Guest gracewriter

Tropical storm Fay

Guest gracewriter

Went to bed last night thinking we wouldn't feel this thing at all until late today.  Woke up a little while ago to some major storms.  Everyone kept saying we wouldn't feel anything until late today so of course I thought I had plenty of time to get my hurricane shutters up if it turns for the worse.  This thing looks like it moved over towards my area in the middle of the night.

Crap!!!!  If it turns into a hurricane there's no time left to get the shutters up.  When it moves out of Cuba and over the warm Atlantic waters, anything can happen.  Well, it's going to be an exciting morning over here.  I've seen these things change direction and go from a catagory 1 to a 3 in what seems like a few minutes.  I"m a little paranoid right now because the last one to hit was the worst one I"ve ever been in a couple years ago.

Any floridians here going to feel this storm?

Geez Grace, you try to stay safe and report in as much as you can!  Hurricanes are always so scary.

I'll have you in my thoughts today.

Jenny

Grace,

Don't know how many shutters you have but, unless you are in the keys, you should see a few breakes to get some put up. 

I'm up in the panhandle and checking it every morning & evening.  It's not "supposed" to get over this far but, cars are full and supplies ready.

Our prayers are with all in its path.  Check-in with us when you're clear.

Regis 

My parents live in Ft Meyers. Luckily they're at my brothers in Conneticut but it's still nerve racking as hell!!! Hope everyone down there stays safe!!!

Guest gracewriter

Woe, this is a really long post, guess I had a lot to think about:

Thanks, Jenny!  I'm probably getting worked up over nothing it was just really scary waking up to all that wind and rain, then looking at the TV and seeing a giant orange/red blob about to hit us.  I couldn't get the sound to work on the TV so way too much was left up to my imagination.

The skies are clear right now and it looks like this is the last time I"ll see that for the next day or two.  My husband called and said the constant storms are about 40 miles away.  Wish I knew how fast this thing was traveling north.  I might have an hour or two before it's too crazy to drive anywhere.

We used to get all kinds of excited when a tropical storm/hurricane was coming.  We'd take the kids to the beach and watch the waves, then run home right before it started to blow.  That's a big deal down here because our waves are so whimpy the rest of the time.  After Wilma, I'm just plain scared these days, I guess I've turned in to a total whimp and have a lot more respect now for the power of nature and how she can turn on you rather quickly.

When my brother found out we have a storm coming our way he insisted I come to his house, which is a 16 hour drive!  He was here after Wilma helping us put our roof back on so he too has a lot of respect for what these storms can do AT THE LAST MINUTE.  The tornadoes these things spin off are pretty frightening as well so having an internet connection and media access is pretty important while they are blowing.

I've turned into such a whimp, I'm ready to pack the bags and leave NOW.  I suppose a shrink would call this Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Because it's like having flash backs.  So I know I'm getting worked up over probably nothing but my insides aren't smart enough yet to realize that.  We will no doubt have some downed trees and stuff, but "nothing to write home about."  I can't imagine how the people in New Orleans deal with storms these days, because this "Little Chicken" ain't doing too well with a whimpy tropical storm headed our way.

This is going to be my first big storm since Wilma (If you never heard of Wilma that's because Katrina overshadowed her in the media. Wilma was the worst hurricane we had in our area in over 40 years), so the storm might not be too bad but my nerves are going to be fried before it's over.  Katrina actually hit us first, but she was a lamb compared to what she turned into when she hit New Orleans.

I guess it was inevitable I'd have to eventually have to deal with this.  So I suppose God and nature has been kind to us over the last couple years.

Just thankful for this forum.  It really helps to quell my nerves.  If you hear anything about a sudden shift east and it picking up speed I'll probably be hiding under my bed sucking my thumb....and I was such a courageous soul pre-Wilma.

You know,it's starting to make sense now and I don't feel like the "lone ranger" anymore because as I recall a couple days ago Sam's Club was packed with people (more than usual) and I happened to notice a lot of people were buying a lot of water and beer and wine (I don't watch the news looking for storms after Wilma cause I'd rather live in denial, but apparently those people were watching it and it was my first clue a storm might be headed our way. )

I felt like Will Smith in Independence day as he read his news paper on the front lawn watching his neighbors run for the hillls and wondering what the big deal was about, then he looked up and saw the Giant UFO.  Ok,I see funny in pretty much everything.

I didn't even know there was a storm out there brewing.  So I asked a couple people, "Is there a storm or something coming, or is it a coincedence the majority of people here today are buying "liquid" groceries?"  The answer I got was yes.  Upon further inquriry I found out its was a whimpy stropical storm that might pass us by.  In the years leading up to Wilma, you NEVER saw people buying supplies for a tropical storm. 

So I guess I'm not the only paranoid chicken here.  Normally most of us would be pointing our fingers and laughing at ANYONE stocking up for a whimpy stropical storm. 

Ok, it doesn't matter if anyone reads this thread, but theapeutically speaking, I'll be giving moment to moment updates as this thing starts to blow, as writing always makes me feel better.

Thanks to all my friends on this forum for providing me a place to reveal the insanity inside my head during my first storm since Wilma.

And as scheduled and right on time the skies are starting to dump a ton of rain and I expect the winds will be blowing in a little while.  So I need to run now and get enough cigs., beer, and gas for the generator, as I already have plenty of food and water, to deal with being locked up with my kids and dogs for the next couple days.

And who knows, maybe this time my husband won't be working at the power plant when it hits, so I should probably stock up on some tranquilizers as well, as he doesn't drink, smoke, cuss, and always thinks says and does the right and appropirate thing.  It's enough to drive a woman to drink.

With love,

Grace

Grace, I'll definitely be checking this post through out the day for updates from you.  I had to chuckle though at this line:  So I need to run now and get enough cigs., beer, and gas for the generator!  WOW girl your generator runs on some 'funny' stuff...LMAO  :P

I can only imagine how scary it has to be.  The worst we get here is a tornado and those are far and few between.

You stay safe my friend.....and keep us updated.

((hugs))

Jenny

Guest gracewriter

thanks for the posts, guys!  YOu should see the sky right now!  The giant storm clouds are AMAZING.  Wish I had a camera that could capture what it looks like.  Got to run for supplies, be back in a little while as I want to thank those of you for posting and want to comment.

Love ya!

Grace

Hey you just be safe when you run out for those supplies!!  Take that lap top under the bed if you need to!!

oh gracie, i pray that u and ur family stay safe. i love thunderstorms they give me a reason to cuddle in the bed, and oh the quiet before them, but i couldn't possibly be brave in something like what ur encountering. i would be praying like it's my last prayer. to me, ur being brave just informing us of ur situation.

God Bless u sweetie, be easy and stay strong :P

I can only imagine how scary it has to be.  The worst we get here is a tornado and those are far and few between.

((hugs))

Jenny

Tornados?  When hurricane Ivan hit here (Florida panhandle) there were some 130 tornados reported just east of us in Ft. Walton/Panama City area. 

The last one we stayed for was Erin in 1996.......now it's off to Tennesse when there is even a slim chance of more than Cat-I comming into the Pensacola area.    In the eye of Erin, I went out and put the top back on my chimney and secured it with everything I could.  In the eye is very very strange.....especially when the storm lasts 20 hours or so.

Guest sciondrgn

We had a tornado hit us back in may, it was sure scary.. I can only imagine a hurricane,  we have gotten lots of bad weather from the hurricanes down there coming this way and it looks like this one is in our path as well if it travels north, normally by time they get to us its just a very storm.

Stay safe Grace!

Nope never been exposed to that many tornados.  I've seen a few but never THAT close up and personal.

Just to think when I was younger I thought being a tornado chaser would have been awesome.

Jenny

I'd love it if you had a day or two warning before a tornado. Life is full of trade-offs...you get to live in beautiful sub-tropical Florida...but you have to contend with hurricanes. At least you know when one is coming and can run.

Around here,with a tornado, IF you are lucky, you can make it to the bath tub in time.

Guest gracewriter

just got back from the store(s).  Loading up the five six gallon gas cans to go fill up.   The power will go off but  not long enough to need all that gas for the generator. But what the heck, it's hurricane season so may as well get if over with now.  Oddly, gas jumped $.10 a gallon since the storm looked like it was coming our way.  Other areas are already reporting price gouging.  But do you think you'd hear about the oil price gouging taking advantage of this storm?  Heck no!  That should be the biggest price gouging story of all right now.

The hurricane center said, no mater what the storm does now we're going to feel the full brunt of it.  Hopefully it'll stay a tropical storm, but that rarely happens once it gets over the warm atlantic waters which it just entering now.

I have full confidence, even in the unlikely event it goes to a cat, 3 we'll be safe as far as the house not blowing away, but what worries me most is the power being cut off for who knows how long and of course the sound of the wind beating against my house.  This storm is also packing a huge punch as far as water.  Thank God, Wilma didn't carry as much water as she did wind.  So, the town of hollywood will definately be under water (just south of us).  

Our lake will probably get pretty high as well.  Hurricane Irene nearly took over our house with the amount of water she dumped.  It was amazing not to get the full effect of her winds but the roads were impassable for DAYS from the water. We had to use a our John boat to get to the grocery store.   Hopefully we won't get so much water that we have to boil our water again.  But we are going to get a LOT of water, in any event.

The next few hours will be crucial.  We're all waiting for the next update.  I don't know that there has been very many storms that didn't intensify greatly after they reached the warm waters of the Atlantic.  It's just a given that it will.  

I grew up in the midwest with all the tornadoes coming in the middle of the night unannounced and used to think I'd take a hurricane over a tornado any day because you at least get a few days warning.    But since I've lived in south florida for over 20 years, not so sure anymore because one minute you think you are "safe" and the next, along with your posessions, your house is now residing in Lake Erie, and you've got this dumb look on your face that wonders what the heck happened.

Another really frightening thing is when all the weather experts are saying it's a tropical storm or minor hurricane headed away from you, not how often they are wrong with these predictons, but how they have the uncanny abilty to mis-predict the BIG storms's target.  Then the rest of the country wonders why the heck anyone living in hurricane country would EVER stay there.

Woe, I've been sitting in my truck in my driveway writing this note and just noticed there is a small river with a farily strong current flowing down our street.  Ten minutes from now the sun will be shining.

ok, off for gas...back later..

Looks like the worse part is the west/gulf coast of south Florida.  So you "should" just get thunder storms for several hours.  Still tropical and not hurricane and hope it stays that way and keeps moving on (not stop in gulf for hours....)

Guest gracewriter

It's raining pretty hard right now.  Not too windy yet.  Scratch that, we're getting a LOT of wind.  They spotted three tornados so far in my county.  One is ten miles from my house.

Got to run.  I'll write when I can.

i dont wish anyone harm.. but it would be nice if Fay took a turn and came up to the NC mountains and give us some rain.. dont mean flooding rain but good few days of rain.. we need it

The hurricane will be here Wednesday & at my parents house tomorrow.  They live on the innercoastal so I am more worried about them then myself.  I'm about 50 miles from the coast so hopefully all will be okay.  I do live out in the country though so I have a lot of large mature trees around the house... that's a bit scary.

More than likely I won't be on after tonight or tomorrow if we get a direct hit since the cable, power, etc. lines out here are above ground out here in the country.

Grace, I actually love watching the storm clouds too.  However I do take pictures... I think they are amazing too.  I guess since I've been in so many hurricanes & even tornados & water spouts by now I appreciate the "nature" in them.   

Grace... I wish you the best through the storm & after & of course you will be in my prayers.

Guest gracewriter

Thanks ralais.  I hope you get to keep your trees.  We lost so many with Wilma, it was really sad.  We're getting some of the feeder bands.  I was out in the gazebo when I wrote the last note.  It's amazing how quickly these things blow, then they'e gone in a few minutes.  It started blowing right after they announced the tornado that was ten miles from my house.  I got a little freaked out as I didn't know if it was a feeder or a tornado.

Looks like we got lucky on this side of the state.  I feel for the people on the west coast.  Let us know how you make out. 

I sure hope my trees are okay too.  I have 3 pecan trees & pecan season is coming soon.  :huh:

I don't remember Wilma... but then again, I'm from the central east coast of Florida & have been through so many I stopped keeping track. 

I remember one year I was working at a summer camp & had a group of about 50 kids outside on a field playing kick ball.  About 5 miles out I noticed the clouds dropping down kinda low.  I kept watching & then as quick as a bullet the cloud touched down & I had to get all those kids inside a building about a 1/4 mile away.  That was scary.  It ended up being a water spout... but still very scary.

Guest kenya

Gracie, I'll say a prayer for you also.

The storm is suppose to hit us Wed. morning. We are on the west coast of Florida.

Tomorrow is our day to drag out all the hurricane supplies and fuel up the trucks.

We also need to get the l.p. bottles filled. Our gas grill is our only means of cooking when we lose electricity. The last hurricane left us without power for 9 days.

We also stock up on gas for the generator & fill the freezer with ice. They sell ice around here for $4 a bag when the powers out. So we try to load up before hand.

I then have to fill several barrels with water for the horses. This time of year, with the heat, they drink around 10 gal. a day/each.

The generator runs the t.v., satellite receiver & a couple of lights during the day & a fan. With the house being boarded up, you feel like your in a cave. We are going to wait until we know if it will hit us directly, before we board up.

The worst part is not having a/c. I know that sounds wimpy, but it's hard on my 83 y.o. mother (she lives in our guest house).

Hopefully, Fay will just be a big rainmaker. Let's all pray she stays on lands & fizzles out. If she makes it back out in the gulf, there's no telling where she will go.

Hey Gracie.... have a drink if it helps your nerves. I've got my tequila ready :huh:

Grace, glad to hear come night fall you and your family is still well and safe.....you all will continue to be in my thoughts.

Take good care my friend.

Jenny

Guest kenya

Hey Grace,

just wondering how you faired during the night.

You sure are getting a soaking. Hope no tornados though!

Keep in touch.