A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. 

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.  As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book....

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.

'There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.  The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.  When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'

We lost our dog a few years back. I still get emotional when I read this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

ok guys, this is so ironic because one of my new puppies died on this morning. i was very meticulous about who i wanted to give him to. a close friend of ours who breed and train dogs found him a loving home. he called every other day to let us know how mason was doing and how the family loved him so much.

well this morning when he called he asked for my husband and should have known he would be at work. i guess he didn't want to tell me. my husband called me a while later to tell me what had happened. i have tried not to be sad about it being we only had him a month more or less but nevertheless my heart is truly broken.

he wasn't sick for they said he was playing before bedtime and this morning he was dead. i really don't know what could have happen but this thread has uplifted my spirits.

thanks for sharing.

I feel very sorry for people who have never known the love of a good dog. A feel even more sorry for people who aren't capable of receiving it.

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Mark Twain

noow that's deep banner. i'm going to try and not read this thread.

:'(u gonna make me cry.

Sorry to hear about your puppy Nonabelle. It is never easy.

Our dog was 15 when he passed. My wife and I got him when we were going out after her family dog had passed away. Her dad didn't want another dog so we agreed he would be ours. He stayed with her and her family until we got married. When we did, her dad didn't want us to take him with us to Seattle. It was hard to believe he had been with us longer than my wife and I were married. We have a new dog now but our old one can never be replaced.

Sorry about your best buddies, I know when time comes ALL my loves will be there waiting for me. Just have to remember to have someone put some biscuits in with me...

Going to copy Banner Johns and Jays to put in our magazine,

Guest TracMatt

We lost both of our dogs last year, they were 12.  I had to have my boston terrier put down due to ulcers in the cornea of his eyes.  Three weeks later our shepard got sick and we took him in, he had cancer of the spleen.  He was in no pain though.  The shepard died in his sleep three weeks after we had our boston put to sleep.  :'(  They are buried out back, therefore I feel like I can't sell my house.  All the sayings above are absolutely true.

Sorry to hear of your puppy nonabelle.

Tracee

Guest kenya

So sorry nonabelle.

We had to put our 14y.o. cat down last month (he had cancer).

Our basset hound just turned 10 last month & I see her ageing quickly.

My heart aches for the fear of losing her.

aww guys. thanks so much. i still have daisy my 8 yr old and the other puppy nala. 

i noticed my lab is aging too. he's 10 and moves real slow.

I hate to say this,but honestly..I like dogs better than people. With a few exceptions.

I've never had a dog lie to me,cheat on me,steal from me, shoot at me, make me buy it  a new car, or clean out my bank account. I'm not saying it can't happen.

There was a time when I was single for a while. Often friends and family would ask, "don't you want someone special in your life to share things with?" My response was always, "I have someone special, she's a miniature schnauzer and she's out lasted any boyfriend that I've ever had." Usually that quiets any further inquiry on that subject.

There has never been a day where I have regretted having my dogs. I only hesitate when first getting them - I can't help to think how emotionally wrecked I will be when they die. I was raised with dogs all around me, and I hope when I die, I will do so with dogs all around me.