Sign in to follow this  
Raw Customs

New to the vinyl cutting/plotting business

Hey everyone

Im sure there is a post on here somewhere on how to price a job.  I have client that wants his company logo on his car.  Its 3 colors so he has 3 files for me to use.  
When pricing do you go by inches?  Letters??  How should i do it.  The logo isnt a difficult one but its going to be big

Thanks for your time

Bernie

Just scroll down thru the section your in, there is nothing written in stone on pricing, and it all depends on your area.  Your time, your expertise, labor, the materials that your using.. Call around your area.  Make a profit..  I never use pricing for what others have up and  I don't change my pricing because others are cheaper.  I have a professional vinyl cutter,  I am not going to price my products lower, because some one uses a value cutter,and cheap vinyl. 

• Like 1

Assess your hard cost first - how much the vinyl and app tape is going to cost you.

Your client may have files for you to use, but are they vector? and do they require some clean-up? because that will add time to either vectorize and/or clean-up.

"Big" is relative.

You can check out this thread, where another member had pricing concerns as well:

• Like 1

Also see how far the nearest competitor is. I already have 2 more clients because they do not want to drive 23 miles away to pick up/have product installed. They are a bit cheaper but i am closer, more convenient, lead time is shorter, and I don't even have my equipment here yet(will be delivered tomorrow)! LOL 

People are willing to pay for convenience, speed, and in most cases quality.  It is all how you market yourself and never ever bash another business as some clients will see that as a turn off.  I know that from an IT business I ran and had a competitor bad mouth me because of my prices, they went out of business, I did not until I sold it and moved. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, very helpful.

I am going to read some more post as suggested, so o can see what others have done.

I am using the Titan 1 and oracal 651 vinyl.  This is a good combo for a professional out come?

Thanks again

Bernie 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:15 AM, Raw Customs said:

I am using the Titan 1 and oracal 651 vinyl.  This is a good combo for a professional out come?

Bernie 

Oracal 651 is a really good vinyl, Oracal 751 is even better. The 751 will most likely last longer on the vehicle. See what kind of costs you're comfortable with, and what your customer's expectations are - just don't promise that it will last a "lifetime."

Most people in Hawaii go with 651, mostly because vinyl is ridiculously expensive here to begin with - and 751 is even pricier than most are willing to pay.

As for the quality of the cutter output - depends on how clean the design is (meaning how many nodes are in it, and where the nodes are). Not sure what software you're using but there should be a way for you to go into an editing mode and see if that design lights up like a Christmas tree with node locations. Your cutter should do very, very well. I've gimped along fairly well with an original Laser Point, I haven't gotten any complaints about the end product.