vezman71

HTV unrolling...

It's not a great big deal, but wondering if anyone has found a solution. 

I cut a lot of sports jerseys and when I'm cutting I'll cut a few numbers and look down and the entire brand new roll of HTV will be piled up on the floor.  You can't get rolled back on as straight either.  I've tried hanging something over the rollers so it doesn't roll as free, but doesn't work too great.  So, I was hoping someone else has an idea of how to stop this problem...

Thanks for any help. 

My graphtec has a lock to stop the rollers. You could probably use a piece of tape or a clamp to stop them.

I throw a utility knife inside the roll. The weight of the knife usually keeps it from unrolling on it's own.

• Like 8

Nice trick Jaybird! I don't know how many times I had rolls of vinyl flop right off the holders and come rolling out in front of the cutter on my P-Cut. What a mess. 

I went and bought a $3,400 cutter and fixed my problems! Summa has a proprietary roll system with end caps that sit in special holders, they have a fancy name for it, something like Micro-sprocket something or other. It's actually quite simple and very effective and is part of how they get such awesome tracking. 

• Like 2

I was having this same problem. I have since discovered that if I roll the vinyl around the card board tube that it ships in, that helps it sit better on the rollers and keeps it there. I also throw some random things in the cardboard tube to weigh it down just a tad. It's a pain to roll it all onto the tube, but worth it when you're not picking it up from the floor.

I just took a half inch piece of PVC and duct taped one end filled it with popcorn and duct taped the other end.  It works great and slips in the cores of HTV without a problem.

• Like 1

Popcorn is large enough that it does not spill out if the tape pulls up, it will roll with the pvc pipe and carries enough weight to be of use in holding down the rolls.  I originally tried sand but it made a heck of a mess if  the tape got a hole in it.

I throw a utility knife inside the roll. The weight of the knife usually keeps it from unrolling on it's own.

Thanks for the idea.  Makes a lot of sense now that you say that. 

• Like 1