Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

Electrical Upgrade!!!

I have my workspace set up at the end of the house that the poor old A/C doesn't service very well (it barely works and needs a new unit) so with 100+ deg weather you can image how much fun it is in that room with my heat press cranked as well. So for Fathers day my great wife bought me a window A/C to throw in the corner blowing right on me (I totally love her!). Well to make a long story a little shorter the original builder was a goofball and the whole room is on one circuit and has two printers, two computers, cutter, laser, room lights, heat press and now a window A/C. Way too much!!!

So the solution which I was planning just for the heat press already and the new A/C forced the issue is an exterior sub-panel that used to power a hot tub or something that with 220 and has 8ga wire to it. Happens to be on the wall just outisde my press and new A/C so I energized one of the wires (the other was already put in use for an outside outlet but still have one whole feed line). So I added a 40a breaker in the house panel and fed the little outer box and then 2 20a breakers in the sub-panel and split the wall socket so each plug has its own 20a circuit and I'm in fat city enjoying the A/C and also not taxing an already busy room. (I'm kinda lucky because my Father-in-law in a licensed electrician and gives me pro-bono advice). I think all parts added up to about $35. There were technical parts of this I would not have known how to do properly like pulling the little tab that connects the two halves of the wall outlet so they could be wired individual etc that I was deeply indebted to my FI for his help. His health isn't great and so I don't ask him to do it for me but he is always there for a tech talk. 

On a side note take a good look at the we all texture. Just a small sign of the strangeness that permeates this house. It was miserable to match when we bought the place and moved a couple walls. I hired a Bosnian to tap and texture and he spent half a day trying to figure out how to do a reasonable reproduction (on his time not mine). 

post-20133-0-98742900-1436324080_thumb.j

• Like 4

I just ran an 8 gauge line upstairs where I screen print and did the same thing with the tab on the side of the plug to separate the circuits. When I was in the construction/ remodel trades we used to do that so that one plug could be wired to a wall switch for a light while the other plug always stayed live. BTW I'd kill to have A/C up there you are a lucky, lucky man.

• Like 2

Nice job!  I too have strange texture in my workroom- currently grinding it down with orbital, shop vac and dust deputy ( awesome apparatus by the way). re-skim coating and going orange peel texture.

• Like 1

texture in my grandparents house was fun to match- turns out that a paper plate pressed and pulled matched it real close

yours looks like a tool with the pole center cut out to make that small repeating circle in the centers 

• Like 1

texture in my grandparents house was fun to match- turns out that a paper plate pressed and pulled matched it real close

yours looks like a tool with the pole center cut out to make that small repeating circle in the centers 

It was some sort of roller that you ran up and down the wall. The Bosnian took a brush style applicator and pulled most of the brushes off until it came close enough and was nice enough to leave it with me after the job. He's a good guy and we basically nick-named him "The Bosnian" sort of like the Soup Nazi off Seinfeld. 

• Like 1