Spunky.Fresh.Designs

Image Trace in cs6 vs???

So I use Creative suite CS6 and I use the image trace in illustrator to trace images in order to get the vectored images I need.  I have been soooo disappointed. So I've done some research and found that CS6, primarily, was one of those times that a company tries to "fix" something that isn't broken. and that CS5 is actually better for image trace.  Lucky me.

Are you guys having this same issue? are the traces jagged and awful like mine?  Is there another software, hopefully free, that may perform the same task so I don't have to go and find a completely different creative suite? I like CS6s updates for alot of other tools but this one was a crappy "fix".

thanks a bunch!

Inkscape does pretty good and it's free. Your problem is exactly why I never bothered to upgrade from CS5. If it's any consolation the CS6 trace engine is supposed to be superior when tracing full color images like actual facial pics and things like that. Not too helpful for vinyl work though. I have even had pretty good luck using an old CS2 version that I have on my work pc that you can get from the adobe site. There is a link on here somewhere. It's also free and based on the assumption that you own a copy of the CS2 software but I figure since I'm definitely an adobe client I would just install it on a couple computers in other places for emergency purposes. 

I looked for the old link and couldn't find it but here is a link to a page that has the link part way down on the page. You will just have to sign in with your existing adobe account info and you can download the CS2 program. The needed registration/serial number is listed there on the site too (a generic one that all users use now evidently). Pretty handy if you're already an adobe user. I put a copy on my work pc and one on my laptop so I can open files up and play from other locations. CS2 is more quirky and clunky for a lot of things so you won't enjoy using for design much after having CS6. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/adobe-releases-creative-suite-2-for-free/

CS2 was my first  design software, and I got a nice thick instruction book, when I bought mine...good thing. I was clueless... :wacko:

CS6 works fine for me. There are multiple options to chose from when using the trace feature. Including preset options and custom option allowing you to change more or less corners and a good amount of other options.

I haven't tried any other design programs.

Not sure if it's just me but mine seems to work pretty good.  I never really try to trace anything to complex.  I will say that SCAL has a great trace feature....

There was a review out about the time CS6 came along that did some specific testing on the two because the upgraded trace engine was just about the only major change from CS5/CS5.5 and in the comparisons they specifically noted that the CS5 traced simple objects a little better than the new on but that the CS6 was better and faster at super complex traces. To be honest the preparation seems to be the real key to a good trace. If you look at Skarekrows work he primarily edits in PS to a point that the image is super clean and high contrast then traces and his results are awesome. I rarely just trace something because I'm so picky that I spend just as much time trying to straighten out and clean up everything that I might as well have just re-drawn it, but the times I have gotten satisfactory results have always been with the pristine pic to start off with. I'm not much of a PS wizard and don't even own the program so I stick with re-drawing or hand tracing on most stuff but a good option and I believe faster one is to try Skare's approach to things. 

• Like 1