Wildgoose

Easyweed Extra HTV question

I just ordered a couple rolls of easyweed extra for some nylon shell jackets for a client I have. Does anyone have any experience with this product. This will be my first time using the Extra. Will it work on regular garments like regular easyweed? It appears to be the same HTV product with a different adhesive so I am hoping that I can use it on cotton and poly too rather than have to leave it sitting around for just special applications. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. 

Well I was hoping for more options, you would think if it was special super adhesive it would also work with the normal stuff but maybe not. This description is a little different on the USCutter website and says other "difficult to print fabrics" 

http://www.uscutter.com/SISER-EasyWeed-Extra-Heat-Transfer-Vinyl-15-x-5-Yards

I answered and I was no help. Time for Goose to experiment and report back the results.

I called Siser and they said it will adhere but that as the cotton shrinks the adhesive will crack. It is specifically designed for nylon and polyester that doesn't do the shrinking. They said you can usually get away with as much as a 50/50 blend too. Just out of morbid curiosity I am going to put some on a 100% cotton and see what happens but I doubt I will be selling any on straight cotton. 

It will be in early next week and I'll be the guinea pig and try to find this thread after I have some time to check it out or start a new thread.  

I called Siser and they said it will adhere but that as the cotton shrinks the adhesive will crack. It is specifically designed for nylon and polyester that doesn't do the shrinking. They said you can usually get away with as much as a 50/50 blend too. Just out of morbid curiosity I am going to put some on a 100% cotton and see what happens but I doubt I will be selling any on straight cotton. 

It will be in early next week and I'll be the guinea pig and try to find this thread after I have some time to check it out or start a new thread.  

Just go to the top and click follow so it shows in your content. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

Ok so I built a shirt this evening using the Easyweed Extra I brought in for a client (in the two colors on two sides). I put it on 100% cotton which according to Siser will not hold up once the fabric starts to shrink. This will be a test run and I will attempt to keep track of the number of wash and wears it takes before I start seeing problems. 

post-20133-0-92372700-1397441972_thumb.j

• Like 3

Love that front image. I could so see that in the side window of my van.

\

• Like 1

I wore this shirt to work today and have gotten a lot huge response. It's comical how many people like the zombie themed stuff. This Florescent Green packs a punch, especially on black. The easyweed extra is definitely a lot less stretchy (like not stretchy at all) than the regular so it will be interesting to see if this shirt self-destructs. 

I have Florescent Pink, Orange, Rasberry, Green and Blue in stock. Florescent sells.

• Like 1

So I have worn and washed the cotton shirt with the Easyweed Extra to try it out in a field test. Siser told me that it would not handle the shrink of the cotton garment and they were not exaggerating. Here is a close up of one of the spots where things are beginning to come loose. THis is after about 6 cycles but the edges of the green started to pull up almost immediately after the very first wash. Especially the small or pointed parts of the graphic. You can pull parts of it off at this point. The silver is holding up a little better but I think that may have to do with the width of the lettering. I guess I won't be trying to get by sticking this on any cotton for customers. Siser said you can get away with 50/50 polyester but I don't think I would even do that at this point. 

Since I'm on a roll, another thing I noticed about the Easyweed Extra is that the adhesive is really strong when used on nylon. I haven't used it on polyester but I did some nylon jackets and missed weeding the inside of a small e. Typically with regular easyweed you can re-heat and pick those little buggers out with a pointy nose tweezer but that wasn't happening with the Extra. I was real impressed. Luckily the jacket still looked ok because the lettering was super tiny. So in the correct application the extra does everything it is supposed to. This was an interesting experiment and I'm glad I took the time to do it. 

post-20133-0-21124500-1401769381_thumb.j

• Like 2