What describes your situation/operation the best?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What describes your situation/operation the best?

• :Legit sign shop with more than 1yr exp.
    • Legit sign business, new to industry
    • Experienced graphics person, doing it on the side
    • Home hobbiest, looking to become sign business
    • Home hobbiest, just making decals for fun

Well I am a rebel, but I'm a 60's music guy, Animals, doors etc... The only new stuff I like is Scorpions etc... and thats far from new. I'm twice your age whipper snapper. LOL :)

there hasn't been any decent music worth buying since 1970.

Guest Terry

Son of a bit!!! blackballed AGAIN. LMAO

Guest Terry

Stop getting snippy hippy, I was talking to Joe.  :) LOL

Village People, Bee Gees, Carl Douglas, KC & the Sunshine Band? LOL

TRANNYS, I have done a few, my hat goes off to you. I bought a book... took tranny apart and lined it all out in a straight line as it was coming apart, then put all B&M parts back in, in a line LOL but I could never do it without putting it in a line as it came apart. Your good!

I used to take the trannys apart throw it all in a box shake it up and throw it out on a table -- then my students would throw extra parts form other transmissions in to try an fool me -- I could not only discover the different parts, but would tell them what the part came from! We had fun playing that game.

Did the Tranny thing for 6 years - lots of fun, but tough job trying to teach!!

Are those your fav's for karaoke Joe?  :)

Not really, mostly N'Sync and Ricky Martin (as I can dance as I sing) haha and a buch of spanish songs. Well Carl Douglas' Kung Fu fighting is one of my "hits" haha.

Joe - I have lost all respect for your taste  :-  :)  Ricky?:)?

LOL

Thank you! I always do my best to make people laugh and maybe even loos the respect on me lol.

Joe

I think we should go back to the point of this post... hahahaha  :)

if it ain't 50's & 60's it ain't rock and roll -- nuff said!!!!

I totally agree!!!!

Well - ya'll have definitely given me some good laughter today with your musical banter :)  Gotta love the generational gap when it comes to music.

I must say I listen to and enjoy everything from Glenn Miller to Kid Rock, Hank Williams Sr. to 50cent - opera is only thing these eyes wont listen to.

I live in a small town in Texas and this guy just started his business which he sells Ranch real estate and needed 10 signs.  He paid for the sign blanks and stands All i did was made up the vinyl part of it, because advertising is a tax write off for him.  Oh, thanks for the advice, something to think about down the road. 

Doing this on the side making a little extra change on the side would like to expand a little but doing well.  Made some real estate signs and probably will be doing a fund raiser with the local little league.

Oh lord - word of advise, go after the realestate company as a whole, not the individual agents - work a price structure for the signs that you can give the company and if they require the individual agents to pay for their own signs, they can distribute your prices to the agents in the company, try to stay away from the agents as independant customers separate from the R.E. company, or they'll chew you up and spit you out over pricing. They want the Mona Lisa of signs for flea market pricing - they're worse than racers when it comes to wanting the world for pennies.

Well I am a rebel, but I'm a 60's music guy, Animals, doors etc... The only new stuff I like is Scorpions etc... and thats far from new. I'm twice your age whipper snapper. LOL :)

Sure there is, you just have to hunt for it. Here is an obvious clue, it isnt on the radio or at your local Wal-Mart, lol. Music is my biggest hobby and most of the stuff I listen to is from Europe, very talented and yet to be paid for it.

I am legit. I have my dba, but I do not collect sales tax.  IF you are a sole propritor you do not have to collect sales taxes.  on your taxes you just have to file a scheduale-C  It is like you had additional income.  I find it easyier that way, so I dont have to worry about collecting sales tax, and sending it in all the time.  I just figure a price, say $100 then I would figure how much tax I have to pay at the end of the year, i go with 10% then add that, so the quote would be for $110.  Then when the job is done, I would save 20% just to be safe, and have some extra left at the end of the year

Guest fivestar

I am legit. I have my dba, but I do not collect sales tax.  IF you are a sole propritor you do not have to collect sales taxes.  on your taxes you just have to file a scheduale-C  It is like you had additional income.  I find it easyier that way, so I dont have to worry about collecting sales tax, and sending it in all the time.  I just figure a price, say $100 then I would figure how much tax I have to pay at the end of the year, i go with 10% then add that, so the quote would be for $110.  Then when the job is done, I would save 20% just to be safe, and have some extra left at the end of the year

I dunno where you're from but here in Ohio sole propietorship you still have to collect sales tax.  I know because I send them out a check once a month for it.

Better check out that sales tax issue very closely Rynecoop.  I've worked as an accountant in several states, and so far have never encountered one where you could report your sales tax with your annual income tax filing.  Big problem here, is if you are misunderstanding the tax law, it opens up all kinds of issues and could be a real problem for you down the road.

Are you trying to say that IL does not have a state sales tax?? After a 20 second search, it seems IL has a base state sales tax rate of 6.25% ( required reading for you http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Businesses/TaxInformation/Sales/rot.htm ) -  ANY legit biz who sells something MUST collect sales tax if their state has a sales tax in place, does not matter if you are sole propietor, LLC, Inc. - also SALES tax is state mandated and INCOME tax (you mentioned schedule C) is Fed & are completely different.

It would be most beneficial to you to RUN, not walk to your nearest CPA with ALL your invoices, receipts, sales ledger, COGS/P.O.s and have them get your books in order quick to avoid any penalties, etc.

Better check out that sales tax issue very closely Rynecoop.  I've worked as an accountant in several states, and so far have never encountered one where you could report your sales tax with your annual income tax filing.  Big problem here, is if you are misunderstanding the tax law, it opens up all kinds of issues and could be a real problem for you down the road.

There are no state sales tax in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

In Tennessee,I only have to collect sales tax on sales inside the state. Most of my sales (98%) are out of state.

There are no state sales tax in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

In Tennessee,I only have to collect sales tax on sales inside the state. Most of my sales (98%) are out of state.

John - Make sure TN isn't trying to pass new legistlation on out of state iand/or nternet sales. Quite a few states are trying to pass tax law that make the contact point as the point of purchase for out of state customers / interent sales, which means - customer in California calls you, the point of contact is your place of business & the transaction took place in your state, therefore you must collect sales tax, just as if that customer walked through your door and purchased in person. Not saying TN already has that, but its something you may want to research and watch out for. Last Dec I'd heard from a CPA that Ohio has been looking into doing something like that ... just what I need - more paperwork to wade through.

It's been tried,and failed. EBAY sends in the big guns and lobbies against it.

But get this...we are supposed to report when we buy large ticket items out of state and pay Tennessee the sales tax on stuff we buy out of state. Yeah,right. I just bet they get a lot of money that way.

Tennessee already has one of the highest sales tax in the country ...if not THE highest ( 9.75 in my town)..they tax everything that they can...I don't think even our idiot legislatures think that being known as a high tax state is gonna attract industry and tourism. Of course,you can never underestimate either the greed or stupidity of our elected officials.

Crap - sounds like Ohio aint so bad afterall LOL - food non-tabable (ready to eat like at restaurants is though) and we're at 6.5% here in my county.

Oh I forgot to mention that the only thing that is tax exempt are prescription drugs. They did,in their kindness to us starving peons, reduce the tax on food by 1/2 of 1%,saving the average family about $20 a year. THAT is what is called political grandstanding.

I think that the last time I sat down and figured out the precentage of my actual income that goes to taxes including gas tax,income tax, car tags...any form of tax... I was getting to keep about .45 cents of every dollar I made. That was before they trippled the tax on cigarettes.

Gotta love it!