Hoss

MH 721 - No Rulers?

I just got an MH271-MK2 (first and only cutter I've ever had) and all the videos/etc I've seen show a ruler along the front edge and along the back. However, mine has none. One of the videos made by USCutter shows how to setup material and make use of these rulers to ensure the material is inserted straight, so it seems they are important.

Is mine missing them or did they stop including them in newer models or something?

Thanks!

Not having any rulers is a serious flaw.

You cannot adjust tracking without 'em.

:(

Just to make sure, are they something that come preinstalled, or does it just come with them but you have to put them on yourself?

Also, the area where under the the blade/pen looks like a strip of masking tape. Is this a protective shipping strip (hence I should remove it), or is that just normal? I've attached a photo to better explain.

post-28044-0-10438400-1350191961.jpg

Take that tape off. The cutting strip is plastic, and needs to be exposed.

The rulers should have been on the machine.

Call USCUTTER support on Monday and ask them what they can do. Hopefully a set of stick-on rulers can be sent to you.

Not having any rulers is a serious flaw.

You cannot adjust tracking without 'em.

Now that is funny right there -- LOL

I've never even looked at the ruler on mine. I align the left end of the vinyl with the feed roller knurl edge. makes it real easy to tell if its tracking right.

One of the best ways to align the vinyl is to pull out a couple feet of vinyl before you put the rollers down. Take the part you pulled out the front and align it with the edges of the pre-feed vinyl underneath the cutter, then lower the rollers.

This will usually get it spot on.

I just got mine for hobby use. Cut out stuff for paint masking on cars/motorcycles/etc, decals, labels, etc. I expect 99% of my cuts will be one off things and won't be doing continuous/large cuts that consume more than a foot or two of material at most. Even the tech guys said that the rulers are not that accurate anyways and that he doesn't use them himself. So far I've just been testing with the pen and sheets of paper and haven't had any problems with small work like that. I'm ordering my first rolls of vinyl however today, so alignment I'm assuming will be more important, especially if I don't want to be resetting the rollers after each cut all the time.

I like the idea of lining up the vinyl back under to the prefeed, thanks!

I liked the suggestion made (in another thread covering this same subject) regarding purchasing stick-on rulers from a craft supply retailer (or online).

http://www.handyrule.com/

Those are pretty nice, even for other things around the house and my shop. I'm going to try and cut something of my own for this, as a learning project.

Those are pretty nice, even for other things around the house and my shop. I'm going to try and cut something of my own for this, as a learning project.

Cut your own with your cutter.