slice&dice

C-N-C into Concrete

Seeking comments regarding a computerized router that cuts designs directly into concrete (sidewalks) to create a logo design for companies at their front entrances.

I saw the item on craigslist, it seems really clever.

I don't have any CNC experience, but it seems like this machine will be simple to operate.

What do you folks say?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/bfd/2954037071.html

Junk.

Better up your insurance if your going to do this. What happens when errors? tool breaks? done wrong? pedestrian falls and sues? the list goes on and on.

That might catch on ... BUT IMO , too much expense for the machine to make a possible profit . I don't think that would catch on . 1rst of all , the owner of the property/bldg would have to allow it , so that eliminates anybody leasing since most owners would not want that done IMO . I think most business owners would rather go for a fancy sign instead . I would think if a gravel was inside the carved area , that might create problems if it became dislodged . The cost to remove that concrete area & install new concrete when changing locations etc would also stop most people .

My immediate concern was 'errors' (which we ALL have likely experienced at one point or another with our cutters going haywire suddenly) and there you are, with a slab of concrete and a half-completed etching.

The other problem I envisioned was the permanent nature of this ---- we live in a society where moving around is so commonplace, what are the chances of any given business wanting to engrave their name in stone for eternity?

Yep ! I actually don't think many people would want it on a walk way for reasons already given . Maybe the side of something , but I just don't see a big attraction that gets more than people thinking about it . It might take off like the hoola-hoop did , but most likely not IMO .

The ad says it can cut alot of materials. Maybe setup a station so you can do wood or plastic signs but have the concrete option too.

How do you hold it down? It looks like it would want to move around.

We did that 30 odd years with a stamp when we poured a sidewalk or slab it was almost like offset printing inserting the brass lettering into a holder and clamping down . Some concrete contractors had stamps made up with their name and number to leave a permanent business card in a corner

Dan .