double_down

How to make a variable length null serial cable

Like some of you, I found the null serial cable that was included with my cutter to be too short to position the cutter where I wanted to. I need a ~15 foot cable to put the cutter in an ideal spot. After finding either 6 foot or 25 foot cables on Ebay, I settled on a 25 foot cable and figured I would coil the extra up out of the way. The cable arrived in a timely manner, but upon testing it with my cutter, the cutter was unrecognized by SignBlazer. It was time to get out the multimeter and see what was going on. While we know that the cable included with the cutter is a null serial cable, apparently there was a difference between the null serial cable included, and my Ebay null serial cable.

The included cable had pins 2 and 3 swapped (Transmit and Received data), as well as pins 7 and 8 swapped (Request and Clear to send). The Ebay cable only had pins 2 and 3 swapped. While technically a null serial cable, it was no help here.

I decided to make my own cable and take a slightly different route. I chose to use DB9 to RJ45 modular connectors, so that any length straight through CAT5 cable could be used to complete the null serial cable. That way if I wanted to use the cutter in a different location, I would simply swap out the CAT5 cable to something shorter or longer and not have to remake the entire assembly.

To build a similar setup, Monoprice.com has everything required.

Qty1 Modular connector DB9 Male

• Like 2

that is a damn good price for cat5 patch cables. i would never sell them for those prices, thats nearly my cost.

imo, cant go wrong on the adapters either for under $1.

this is so sweet. but how would you make it usb to serial? that is what i use on mine.

Man this is a great post! I was at my wits end trying to figure out why my express card and cable wasn't working (some odd ball null cable apparently). Your diagram is perfect and I can't thank you enough! If anyone is looking for a longer serial cable, just follow double_down's instructions and you can make it as long as you want, just buy the length of cat5 cable you need and the two parts he listed.

**sends double_down a digital chocolate chip cookie**

ok, knowing that i am no digital techy person, i still need to know where to get a longer cable for my SC series running SCAL Pro. I am using  the USB so will any usb cable work as long as the ends are the same.

ok, knowing that i am no digital techy person, i still need to know where to get a longer cable for my SC series running SCAL Pro. I am using  the USB so will any usb cable work as long as the ends are the same.

Technically, yes, but the longer the cable the greater the chance of signal interference, especially with cheaply made cables.  If you want to go with a longer cable, purchase one with a reputable brand name, not one of the $0.99 ones with free shipping on ebay, and don't get one that is much longer than what you need, the greater the length, the greater the probability of signal issues.

thank you very much OWJones, i bought a Belkin 10 ft cord. Praying it works. Your expanation was perfect. Will let you know how it goes.