Sign in to follow this  
kraut724

Clear vinyl(overlay)

has anyone used clear vinyl as an overlay over single or multilayer vinyl.

does the clear discolor or yellow in the sunlight

thoughts and ideas please

you would not need to it will not help anything. it protects the printed graphics (ink) from fading.

Does this apply to the plain clear vinyls as well? Like oracal 651 #000 or FDC 4200 #000 and #200 (matte)?

I was under the impression that if you wanted UV resistance you need a UV overlaminate (oraguard, poly-focus, etc.).

Which raises another question: if not for the reasons above, what is clear vinyl good for?

Your referring to clear CUT VINYL not laminate.

I have no idea why they make clear cut vinyl, i really have no experience using it since it's not really needed IMO. Cut vinyl is UV resistant anyway so why cover it?

im not worried about uv, i just wanna know if it turns color at all.

thought of going over everything to make it a smoother finish like paint clearcoat.

the uv laminate that i use does not turn yellow. as for making it look like a paint clear coat that will not work. it will leave a lot of air pockets and cause you a lot of trouble. the only way to get it to look like that it to print the decal and laminate it then contour cut it.

im not worried about uv, i just wanna know if it turns color at all.

thought of going over everything to make it a smoother finish like paint clearcoat.

The vinyl will have air around the overlapped vinyl and look no different than before, maybe even worse.

The straight forward answer to yellowing or discoloring clear vinyl is... NO

This is a fact with Oracal 651 and I have even used cheap clear vinyl in my early years for printed decals and the clear never changed a bit, never dulled, color changed etc, peeled off the same as it went on after 4 years prior.

Eric