Sign in to follow this  
markmystuff

Yet another Copam tracking anomaly

Hi everyone -

we've been successful in the past cutting heavy gauge (about 15 mil) oilboard stencil material with our Copam 2500.

We back up the oilboard sheet with application tape (it holds the cut out pieces in place and gives the sensor eye something to measure, plus a rough surface for the grit wheels to chew on).

Slow cutting, heavy pressure, a 60 degree blade and a bit of twiddling with the blade stickout and vertical position in the head and it worked reasonably well.

Now things are going bad and I can't figure out where it's going wrong. Trying to make cuts now (fresh 60 degree blade and all) the oilboard starts skewing in the cutter and the cuts go badly awry. I think I can feel that the pinch roller tension is not equal between the two rollers, and adjusting them to be equal doesn't seem to make a difference.  The outer pinch roller has good traction and the one more toward the center has less, apparently causing the skewing.

As a test, I swapped the pinch rollers, expecting the skewing to go the other way. Nope, still skews the same direction.

I saw the post about putting longer screws into the pinch rollers to increase pressure and I'll try that tomorrow, but it seems like something else is wrong if the pinch roller swap didn't reverse the skew... Or am I missing something?

Help!  (and Thanks in advance!)

Can you tell if the material is slipping on the skewed side? Maybe some crud on the feed roller? After swapping the pinch rollers around and getting the same side to skew- my next thought would be the feed roller on that particular side.

What happens if you manually feed the material from the control panel after reading the width, prior to cutting? Does it still skew or is it a direct result of the cutting influence on the heavier material?

a friend has a newer copam and had to put in longer screws in the feed rollers to cure this problem.  on the one I had a couple of years ago everything was great - could be the new batch