Sign in to follow this  
rca90gsx

Help Needed Please

I've got this design, and i'm trying to just do a .06" thick outline (to make a pinstire around the border).  Everytime I try to do the outline, it acts as if nothing happened, just goes blank... I'm going to try to upload the file here... hope this works!

Thanks in advance!

-Richie

scallops.SBD

scallops.SBD

Are you using some offset ? I click outline , keep original & use at least .10 offset . Try .5 offset to see the change & adjust to what you want ( try 1" + thickness for some fun looking stuff ) . I did not try it on your file , but works with what I do . with the small increments you can see if it is making a difference by the size of what is selected before & after outlining .

You had some stray nodes etc and I think there was a area that was open I did a quick trace see if this will work now...

Might need a little work look at it in wire frame and you should see the .06 outline..

sca.SBD

sca.EPS

post-2082-12986555519488_thumb.jpg

sca.SBD

sca.EPS

post-2082-12986555534281_thumb.jpg

That is working perfectly!  Thank you very much!  I tried for a long time this afternoon to get it to work right, but I couldn't.  I'm still trying to get a handle on this software for my own personal use.  Now I have one more i'm going to try and fix it myself as well, giving the same problems! I'll give an update!  BTW...how do you do a trace? Would that would if I imported an image and wanted to do a quick outline trace of it as well?  Thanks in advance!

-Richie

To vectorize in SBE your image has to be monochrome (B&W)  - if the bitmap is smooth it will give you nice looking vector images - if it is very blocky it will not do so well.  Either way you have to do some node editing to clean up the final vector paths.

Select your image

Click on menu item image

Click on vectorize

Select overlay or inset

click OK

Play with it and you will soon see what types of images you can successfully process with SBE.  In preparation to vectorize the image you can fix up the bitmap to get better traces - I use a program called  Image Compressor to increase the resolution - then I do some pixel editing to get a cleaner image to vectorize.  You can work on the bitmap to cut down the amount of work on the vector node editing.

Good luck in the one you are working on - let us know how it comes out.

-Mike

It worked great!  I went in to the other file I had and noticed you mentioned "open" in the drawing, and I figured out how to add nodes to "close" the loop of the drawing and fixed that one as well.  Thanks again, really appreciate that! I learned something LOL!

-Richie

Good for you!  Feels great to do it yourself doesn't it?

-Mike

glad you figured it out so next time it will be easy for you and you may be able to help the next person.  Always remember to look at things in wire frame also.  If there is something wrong you can spot it in there a lot....

Always remember to look at things in wire frame also.  If there is something wrong you can spot it in there a lot....easier

Excellent point ....Probbaly the best bit of advise that can be given to someone just starting out  :)