bayshorecreations

Thinking about opening a storefront, any thoughts?

So I found a storefront in a nice downtown area for rent. The price is fantastic, almost to good to pass up.

It is just off of the main street of the downtown and only a few buildings in so it has great visibility.

My dilemma is this, it is small (500 square feet) but will work for me but the street is a somewhat narrow one way road so street parking is tight for customers, there is a narrow driveway that my pickup truck fits down with about a foot on each side to spare that leads to a small parking area in the back of the building which I will also have use of on weekdays. Now, if I were to get a lettering job in on say a boat or a sprinter or box truck I would be screwed because there is no way I could pull it back there. This is my dilemma with this property, do I want to have a good visibility storefront but be limited on what I can work on or keep looking for something else?

Before you ask where I do lettering now, I work out of my home currently. I have converted my 2 car detached garage into a workspace and I do lettering in my driveway but this storefront is not in my town. It is actually about 40 min away which is the area that I want to be in.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:

To me I would pass on that location if you are planning on working on lettering cars and such, would probly work for just a RTA decal and shirt shop. 

I don't mind the commute. I want to go up that way because there are less sign shops and way more small businesses up there not to mention its much more populated than the area that I live. As far as the reasons for wanting to do this I would say yes to everything you asked. I want to be in a visible location and not off the beaten path so to speak and that's the problem with my situation, if I want exposure I will not have the greatest working space and if I want a place with a garage and a parking lot I will be out in the middle of nowhere so to speak. Unfortunately to have both in new jersey is just way too expensive. Like I said this kind of fell into my lap and the lease price is fantastic. They are asking less than half of what other comperable places would go for in this area.

Also just to note, lettering vehicles is not my main focus but it is one of my services and something that I don't want to give up doing.

Also, yes this is a full time thing for me.

Guest YHC

If its something that you feel you can do and still make a profit I say go for it. I would work out a short term lease to test the waters and see if you grow out of it. If it seams to fit your needs your set. If you need a bigger space then with a short term lease your able to move quickly.

location, location, location  that is the first three rules of business

I want to go up that way because there are less sign shops and way more small businesses up there not to mention its much more populated than the area that I live.

If you think that is where the business is .... go for it. You can spend the other half that others are spending for lease/rent to advertise/expand customer base. You can always move to a better place    if   when business takes off  :thumbsup:

For me , vehicle  lettering is big part of my revenue and I will NOT move in to location where I would not be able to continue doing it.

Also, I work from my  basement and garage.

In my area there is no many shops who are willing to do vehicles in the winter so, I'm renting part of the huge shop(2 20' trailers can fit in and still enough room to work around)  for $50.00  for day I'm using it.This winter was great to me because of this deal.

Good luck.

D.

Its all about what you want :thumbsup:

We looked at a building with 4 bays in it...price was right, commute would have been a grand total of 2 minutes..both ways lol. But we opted out just because we enjoyed doing it at home and right now just didnt want to spend that extra money per month yet. We decided instead of renting, to roll a 12x32 building in beside the house just for the business (it should be here today or tomorrow :thumbsup: ).

But again, its to each his own..if thats what you wanna do, make the jump and see what happens. Youll never know how cold the water is, until you put your feet in it ;D .

Good Luck either way ;D

What will you do if you need to letter a trailer/vehicle?  Is there somewhere close, even a parking lot, that you could use?  I like the idea someone posted about renting a stall or use of part of a bigger shop.  If not, I would pass, it's going to be a continuous headache. 

There is a reason the lease is so cheap on this place..

What will you do if you need to letter a trailer/vehicle?   Is there somewhere close, even a parking lot, that you could use?   I like the idea someone posted about renting a stall or use of part of a bigger shop.  If not, I would pass, it's going to be a continuous headache.   

There is a reason the lease is so cheap on this place..

I agree - need the room to do what you want without the headache

I dont know what its like down there but up here in Canada alot of auto repair shops are DYING due to all the cheap deals on new cars and ill bet there are a few places willing to rent you out a bay on a per day basis just to get some $$ coming in. One of my buddies runs a repair shop and he has a tint guy, a pinstripe guy and a paintless dent repair guy all renting spaces from him.

I dont know what its like down there but up here in Canada alot of auto repair shops are DYING due to all the cheap deals on new cars and ill bet there are a few places willing to rent you out a bay on a per day basis just to get some $$ coming in. One of my buddies runs a repair shop and he has a tint guy, a pinstripe guy and a paintless dent repair guy all renting spaces from him.

In the town I live in...there are regular steel buildings that you can rent shop space in, alot of the racers who live in town use them instead of their at home garage, the rent is like 500 a month, my cousin rents one and I have tossed him 20 bucks a couple times to use the shop to do a job in the dead of winter, If there is something similar where you live you could rent space, or even share one with someone.  I know alot of the guys there split a stall with 4 or 5 other guys, only problem with that is when someone comes up short on rent one month then you have that headache.

In the town I live in...there are regular steel buildings that you can rent shop space in, alot of the racers who live in town use them instead of their at home garage, the rent is like 500 a month, my cousin rents one and I have tossed him 20 bucks a couple times to use the shop to do a job in the dead of winter, If there is something similar where you live you could rent space, or even share one with someone.  I know alot of the guys there split a stall with 4 or 5 other guys, only problem with that is when someone comes up short on rent one month then you have that headache.

We have places like that here but they are out in the middle of nowhere and the rent on them is like $1500 - $2000 a month.

I do have places in the area that I can use to bring vehicles to, mostly outdoors though.

The rent is prohibitive, bu tout in the middle of nowhere isn't.  It isn't your storefront just a place for you to go do work, who cares where it is.

Sucks thats how much it costs though, the guys who rent the ones racing here get space enough to work on 2 maybe 3 cars if you crammed it for like 600 a month and that includes the whole shop air compressor, course its right by the sewage treatment plant so some days you gotta light a match, but hey it works great if the wind is right! lol

If the only real gain would be exposure by using this proposed location; aren't there more cost effective means of obtaining that same exposure?

Guest Schramm

Honestly pass on this...  I myself have looked into this as well and have found simular situations.  Very low rent, good location however more issues then what will work.  The issue with this is that right now you are familiar with your situation, know what you can and cannot do and your area is FREE.  Right now you have a good situation and one that your compitition cannot compete with (which is no overhead).  Right now you may think that the 40 minute drive is not bad but in no time at all, what you love to do right now will qucikly feel like a full time job (not in a good way).  I know what you mean about wanting not to work from home and get away from the hustle and bustle of working out of the house but belive me when I say you are better off right now the way you are until something better comes along.