Sign in to follow this  
NewToSigns

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera stickers

Perhaps you could comment without filling half a page with double-spaced, bold italic type. 

Regardless, you could give advice as to how the job could be done correctly and carefully without judgemental statements like "you are not qualified for this" and "you have no business touching this".

truth hurts, what do you want A&P to do? Beat around the bush? He's looking out for someone that obviously doesn't have the experience to do such a project. Last time I checked, I wouldn't hire a person to build my race engine if this was his first one. Thats why you either A. go to wrap classes B. learn under someone C. Practiced on tons of project cars and actually have a portfolio of cars you have done.

This is what kills me about this forum. People can't give truthful advice without someone getting hurt.

I say pass on this install and contract it out, it doesn't make you look bad at all, just explain, I'm new to this and would feel more comfortable having a pro install this on such an awesome car.

A&P brought up so many great points. I even asked the first question, what method would be use? And the first response I get "I'm not sure"

Right there is a red flag. Just stop what your about to do and ask yourself, when that car pulls up, and that customer is standing over top of me, am I going to feel confident enough to touch this car? If I scratch this car do I have the cash or insurance to back this up?

People need to learn to take suggestions and comments a little less serious. This forum is far from signs101, but I almost feel like I can't tell someone there work isn't very good.

Sorry, but taking something on over your head is not a good thing to do.

Guest fivestar

I agree 110% with A&P.  I actually started to write something similar when I responded to the calendared/cast question then I didn't finish it.

It's a basic stripe.  You guys are getting all bent out of shape because it's a Lambo.  So what?  I don't want to re-paint any car I vinyl, so I take basic precautions to not scratch the paint.  It's not like the risk is that high, anyway.  Small scratches can be buffed out, it's not like a tiny mistake is going to result in an entirely new paint job.  Lambo's are not painted with some ultra-sensitive paint.

Anyway, we're way off track here, so let's un-hijack the thread.  What I would do:  Use 851 matte black, clean very, very well with RapidPrep, install dry, being careful to not squeegee off the app tape.

I was going to say that also but i didn't until now. I would approach this as i would any other vehicle job. They are all equally important. Just be careful as usual trimming the door gap and your good honestly.

easy job dude just do it who cares if it is a lambo. just be careful not to scratch it and what not. then the worst that can happen if you dont apply it right and you tell the guy sorry you messed up and couldnt do it and you arent charging him anything but at least you got some practice

Don't let the fact that it's a lambo deter you...would everyone be telling him he's under-qualified and to stay away if he was posting that he was putting a swoosh on my wife's HHR?:thumbsup:? Probably not. Just clean it, take your time and be careful. Hard to turn jobs away in this economy. If you start and feel uncomfortable, then stop and let them know that you found a shop down the street that specializes in this sort of thing...good luck!

If you are worried about the cost difference between the lambo and my wife's hhr, then have them sign an insurance liability waiver that clears you. I have had several customers sign one for me (if their vehicle was being left on premise over night, in my situation.) just a thought good luck!

Alright thank you everyone for your inputs good, bad, constructive, what ever I take them all as advice and appreciate the truths.  I know I am not experienced as others here but would like to be, I have contacted a close local sign shop here talked to them and we are using his vinyl which is the better safer move,( BTW customer changed his mind he wants gloss black instead) we are splitting profit and we are going to install it. He's been installing for almost 15 years now. 

Its not that its a lambo because I have put stereos in them before and given they are not american cars, everything is harder with them. I assume the paint and clear coat is just as hard as a custom show car, its really the bubbles in the vinyl that worried me the most. Being it was 6' long for someone like me who is new to "bigger"/technical jobs alot of this is new to me.  In the last 6 months that I have been doing vinyl as my full time bus./job I have been focusing on vehicle lettering, small stickers, car club logos, and small coro signs. Which I have been doing ok with income wise.

I will post some pics when we are done, and he schools me on applying vehicle graphics!

Thanks

Seems like a win win but i would have done the job. You will never learn if you don't do it ya know?

When i first started i asked around online about this and that because i was worried about completing a job and no advice i was given was better than good old hands on work.

Good luck!

i still can't get over how he didn't make bank on this cause he asked another shop to do it  :thumbsup:

A&P I am nervous about this I never thought about it that way though. Tomorrow morning I will go into a local sign shop, I kinda like that one better! Thats why I went on here asking opinions.

To be honest, I see your point A&P but i think this job is so easy there won't be any issue. I would do this with zero questions.

I do alot of work on freshly painted vehicles that are 2 days old most times and i have no problems. Yes this car is very expensive but it's still a car. I wouldn't give the business to a competitor, that's why you have your own shop  :thumbsup:

You putting vinyl on paint 2 days old???

A&P I am nervous about this I never thought about it that way though. Tomorrow morning I will go into a local sign shop, I kinda like that one better! Thats why I went on here asking opinions.

To be honest, I see your point A&P but i think this job is so easy there won't be any issue. I would do this with zero questions.

I do alot of work on freshly painted vehicles that are 2 days old most times and i have no problems. Yes this car is very expensive but it's still a car. I wouldn't give the business to a competitor, that's why you have your own shop  :thumbsup:

You putting vinyl on paint 2 days old???

Yep, i have for years now, going on 5 years with ZERO problems. I do this about 3 times a week for a body shop locally. If the shop preps and uses good paint and has a nice bake booth there will be NO PROBLEMS.

ive applied vinyl on baked cars with 14 hour old clears. Its no prob if cured in a booth, buff em out in 4 hours and hard as nails in 12. Now if airdrying there would be some issues with this.

ive applied vinyl on baked cars with 14 hour old clears. Its no prob if cured in a booth, buff em out in 4 hours and hard as nails in 12. Now if airdrying there would be some issues with this.

:thumbsup: Brother is a painter...him and another guy keep up with paint for a 20 station body shop....so they are busy....and he told me the same thing.  He said next day after as long as they are baked you are good to go.  He said they recently switched to a waterborne paint in his shop.....and he might give that an extra day because water evaporates slower than other solvents.....but even then he said water vapor shouldn't mess up a decal.

yep! were not talking jimbo jims backyard body shop, if it's baked correctly it will be fine.

Guest fivestar

yep! were not talking jimbo jims backyard body shop, if it's baked correctly it will be fine.

Hey I like Jimbo Jim's Backyard Body Shop.  Jim does great work.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D I do work for a local Dodge dealership and I put vinyl on the next day after it is painted, they also have a "bake booth" and I have never had any problems at all.