muddytires

Any tips on keeping vinyl straight ?

I've got a 24'' creation pcut and i was wondering if any one has any tips on aligning the vinyl so that it tracks straight on long runs.   

I ended up with the table top version , that comes with a cheap and crude vinyl roll holder, where the roll sits on top of  4 plastic wheels. The rolls keep falling off , so i will probably try and build some kind of roll holder out of some tubing to go through the middle of the roll.

Anyway, i'm finding it hard to adjust the vinyl / pinch feed rollers so that it stays in a straight line. I have tried eyeballing it , but still end up 1/2 -3/4 inch difference on a 4 - 6 foot run on the edges.

Even when i think i've got it spot on before cutting , it will move on me half way through the cutting.

Thanks, Tom.

First thing,build a decent holder. If you are going to use a rod through the roll,you want to get some end caps (PM me) or the vinyl can jerk as it unrolls.

I've been doing this a long time and have yet to find the perfect solution on a friction feed machine. There are so many variables. But,here is what I leaned:

Make sure the vinyl is a straight as you can get it.

run the vinyl out with the plotter first to see if it tracks straight.

Divide your longer cuts into panels and cut as short runs as you can

If the roll of vinyl is warped,or flat on one end,it won't track straight.

Honestly,the amount of drift you got is very small for that long a cut. I usually just allow for a bit of  drift, and waste very little vinyl that way. If I have a line of 10 inch text,I cut straight down the center of a 12 inch roll.

I short, if you can get a perfect cut with no drift, you are just having a lucky day. It does happen from time to time,.even to me.

Thanks John !

I built a holder for the transfer tape out of a closet pole and some brackets , which works pretty good.

I guess i'll try and make something similar for the vinyl roll.

my transfer tape holder also includes a closet pole, and my magnetic sheeting holder has a broom handle. Congradulations on being handy and not wasting money.

If you do want to spend some money,and get a nice  stand you can buy the stand for the pcut at the us cutter store.  http://www.uscutterdirect.com/PCut-Parts-Supplies_c_9-1.html

if you build a stand,please post a pic for us all to see.

Hi I am new here and I was also worried about the tracking of the vinyl. I went to the web site that is listed here for a stand and couldn't find one listed. Are there other places to find one. By the way I have the Creation Pcut 24 inch.

I have been experimenting lately and have decided that the more pinch rollers you have,the less drift I seem to get. And the more evenly spaced, helps even more.

Dont you have a ruler on front and back?  line up the same numbers on the front and back and your vinyl will not drift?? well at leas for me it doesnt ;D