Sign in to follow this  
Nikki

Pricing Magnets

Hi,

It's my first time making magnets and my supplier isn't open, so I'm not sure how much they cost.

This is what he needs, basic lettering with his business name and phone number, he wants the sign to be 15" H x 50" W.

Is there anything I should know about magnets? and supplies I need besides vinyl and the magnet?

thank you

i came up with $90.00 for the magnet.  thats 1/2 hr design time and 1hr production time at $45/hr

I usually charge $85 for 2 magnets 15"x 24"

Magnets are not hard, just be careful when cutting the magnet material because it is thick!

You can cut magnets on a cutter? I didn't know. I assume you just set the blade pressure a little higher? Sorry, I'm still learning new things.

You can cut magnets on a cutter? I didn't know. I assume you just set the blade pressure a little higher? Sorry, I'm still learning new things.

On a regular cutter i don't think so but i know on the versacamm you can but it's still hard on the machine even with special mag material.

...and round those corners!!

You can get the corner rounder for under $5.00 at your local walmart.

Guest fivestar

Yup I cut magnets on my refine........I just set the pressure all the way up (30mil magnets) and adjust the blade a little. 

...and round those corners!!

You can get the corner rounder for under $5.00 at your local walmart.

I am guessing its in the arts and crafts section? I tried to find it on their website but no luck.

thanks guys, I will make sure to round the corners, if he ever calls back :thumbsup: I gave him the price quote but never heard back.

Rob, yes you can find it in the craft department.

Nikki, I can't stand when they get a quote, sound happy about the price and then NOTHING!  :thumbsup:

Rob, yes you can find it in the craft department.

Nikki, I can't stand when they get a quote, sound happy about the price and then NOTHING!  :thumbsup:

Yep, i used to care but really if you don't get the business your going to find other business so everything will be ok  :thumbsup:

Thanks John!  That's true.  The first few that didn't get back to me, was so discouraging.....but what's a person to do!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that pep talk John!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks John!  That's true.  The first few that didn't get back to me, was so discouraging.....but what's a person to do!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that pep talk John!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

No problem at all! To be honest i think of it as....the clients who get back to me are worth working with and the ones who quote and drop you and don't follow back on the quote aren't worth working with anyway because they weren't serious from the get go.

...and sometimes those customers like that, end up being ones that are more of a headache and you wished they would of went somewhere else!  :thumbsup:

Firestar, you said you cut your magnets on your refine. May I ask which refine you have.

"Yeah who needs them lol although I really wanted to make a magnet "

I really wanted to make some magnets and without any customers, I just made a pair for my own use saying I made magnetic signs and a price and phone number. A lot of people seem to get a lot more money for their signs but around here, the going rates are around 25% lower than the price guide from sign craft magizine. Good luck and have fun.

Terry

I have a question about the magnetic signs...Someone mentioned cutting it on his MH721 cutter. I thought the sign was to apply vinyl to. Not so? I bought 2 signs last year and just now bought my cutter. I was planning on putting my "business" card on the sign in vinyl. Is that what is normally done? Or, do people cut the sign itself? Very confused...  Thanks for the help.

Hey Fivestar,

D'you have a picture of one of those magnets you cut?  I sure would like to see one.

Thanks-

Hi Sandy Sorry you haven't gotten an answer yet. The people that cut the magnets on their cutter are cutting to size and some maybe a simple shape. You are correct in assuming that you use either cut vinyl or printer (generally solvent printer) to put information on the magnets. Good luck and have fun.

Terry

Thanks , Terry! I appreciate the information. Geez, I'm glad I didn't try to cut mine.LOL    I bought a corner rounder at Michael's Craft Store today, 12.00, but it's a lot larger than the ones at Walmart. They had 2 sizes of corner shapes.