vytype

crappy vinyl?

when i first got my p cut i did some test stencils(once my girl figured out to use the thing)with a roll of white that i got in a 5 roll batch from ebay.

they have not held up.the vinyl is now curlling up and shrinking.is it the vinyl?i dont know what brand it is.what do you pro's use?

i figured at least 5 years exposed to the elements before this happened.

Some people have been known to sell kitch cabinet shelfing paper as "vinyl" material.

Buy from either a well known ebay store, or a vendor.

i bought some of that crap too when i first ordered my cutter. wait until you used some oracal ( or any other good brand ) it is like night and day

I did the same thing.

I ordered some off Ebay befor I even got my cutter.

its crap

Get some good stuff and you will be happy just use the ebay stuff for test cuts

It's just another learning curve we all find out!  Get recommendations especially for ebay sales, if you don't want to get 'had'!

There are plenty of reputatable sellers, just need to know the ones to look for and the ones to definitely stay away from.

It's worth paying a few more bucks for vinyl that WORKS!  than to save and have a roll of useless vinyl.

IMO

Guest stunad, jr.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS SELLER!

their "vinyl" is merely contact paper, not a suitable replacement for vinyl

Actually, contact paper would be better than this garbage. 

ebay user name: windowtintfactory

I bought a full roll of bright pink from them once and it was good stuff...but my brother bought some blue that was crap. I think they just sell whatever they get their hands on. His crappy stuff was definately NOT the same brand as what I got.

That being said,they do have good deals on unfinished banner material. But no matter what you buy,if it breaks,is lousy,or any other reason,they won't answer your emails and you'll not get a refund.

Just adopt this policy,

If they do not state a recognised brand name that you know, stay away from it.

What ever you buy make sure the specs match your need.

If it says limited outdoors  then keep it for indoor use.

I use either LG6000 or Oracal for most of my stuff. Banners , signs

For some indoor uses I also use USCutter vinyl.

Dave

Guest Schramm

I LOVE crappy vinyl for lettering, I dont do too much stuff with high end vinyl as that is not the type of work that I do but when doing things like mirrors, or inlays that I am going to paint over I use ORACAL spray mask or stencil mask.  I absolutley love to use that stuff as it has low enough tack for easy release but high enough tack to keep from bleed through which is quite common!

Personally I really like the less expensive LG line (5 year vinyl), it has been on my van for about 1.5 years and knock on wood it has really held up nice!  I use my read windshield wiper and it flows over it without any issues and for less than $50 you can get a color roll 100 yds.  LG really has a nice product and there prices are great!

Rob

LG is good vinyl. A lot of people think Oracal is the magic name but I cut average 50-100 yards of vinyl a week,have tried all brands I could find, and none really stands out above the other. I've had just as good results with FDC as any I have used. Oracal is just a brand name. I can name 3 brands (but I won't) that are made in the same factory, the same way, exactly the same. The only difference is the name on the backing paper.

Guest fivestar

For intricate details I think Oracal blow FDC out of the water.  But for "normal fonts and sizes" there is no difference between them.

BannerJohn,

Now how can we talk Marcus and Ken into carrying LG so we dont have to get it from that other place........

Dave

well, their prices are pretty low for the Oracal...but really they do need to offer another choice.

wow,thanx guys.i dont have any idea what kind it is.it was one of those 5 rolls and 1 banner packages.we mainly use it for stencils for glass etching but the ones i did for a test have been outside since spring,exposed 100% of the time to all weather extremes.and they have all failed.

i also bought a roll of blue off ebay and it just sux azz.its wrinkled and shrunken and has air tunnels in it.

for glass etching it works ok but is a p.i.t.a. to weed detail.after the sand etching we peel it off,destroying the vinyl anyway.what vinyl is a good resist for this process,and is it reusable?

i will try the oracle brands next

i have a set cut for a progressive mask for powdercoating as well but thats another story

Yeah I have posted about them before, and I got a 50 yard roll of red from them that I use only for stencils, it only needs to stay on for 5 minutes, so really as long as it doesnt leak, which it doesnt, I will continue to use it. The properties of it, I would say, is very rigid with descent adhesive compared to the great stuff I usually use and orcal 631..., I cant remember the name on the vinyl, maybe shiol---- something..

I also bought a 12" roll of fuscia from them, again it is very rigid, but stuck to the licence plate for the little girl who I cut it for today and she was very happy. So yeah, you have to know what target market you are going to be using it with.

Believe me, when I got it and tried cutting it, I called the place right away and said this stuff is crap, what the hell am I supposed to use it for, guess I found the use :thumbsup: I ended up giving them bad feedback because they SHOULD have said this vinyl has a MATTE finish AT LEAST, I dont really expect them to say it was low quality, but at least state the finish.

Lets face it.... if you see a roll of vinyl on ebay that doesnt say what finish it is, wouldnt you EXPECT it to be gloss??? Yes, hence the reason for my negative feedback.

Wayne

Guest stunad, jr.

I'm all for using inexpensive vinyl for temporary things, but this stuff is virtually unusable in a vinyl plotter.  As soon as it is unrolled, this is what happens!

post-0-1298652921778_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986529239884_thumb.jpg

Guest stunad, jr.

btw, their description said "5 year outdoor" and their item photo showed a super glossy roll of vinyl

I had purchased a 12 roll deal of that stuff on ebay, some time ago, thought i got a great deal,what JUNK; but eventually I was able to utilize the crap by relining all the kitchen cabinets, and the cabinets in my dads garage. Never again, When it comes to the Vinyl, make sure you know the name never assume anything, unless you need to work on your kitchen cabinets anyways, lol

"for glass etching it works ok but is a p.i.t.a. to weed detail.after the sand etching we peel it off,destroying the vinyl anyway.what vinyl is a good resist for this process,and is it reusable?"

does any one have a  answer for this?

I bought the same S*$T!  Lasted under a month on my DH's Ford.  I used a detroit D my first cut for him.....Sucks now!!!

I have used Arlon now and it is nicer, way nicer than the other stuff I bought from that seller. Has anyone heard of SBC Vinyl?  I have a replacment for my Arlon Etched Glass to this and I'm afraid it may be inferior..

Thanks,

Lacey

I'm all for using inexpensive vinyl for temporary things, but this stuff is virtually unusable in a vinyl plotter.  As soon as it is unrolled, this is what happens!

Ive been using the same vinyl for about 5/6 months now and its been fine up up until the last week , its started to get "air tunnels" when i unroll it out ,

its only on some i had the stored upright for about 2 mths,

can the way i store them / room temp affect this ,

i use ritrama ri-mark series l&m is this a good make/brand and has anyone else used it