Sign in to follow this  
Jaide

For everyone with the 'random cuts' problem, READ

I was so frustrated with this problem, but I am 99% sure I have figured it out. I was using a USB connection, then switched to the serial port, and not a problem since. I have been cutting out yards of stuff (long projects) and NO random cuts.

;D

By random cuts are you talking about the slashing of the vinyl from the end cut to home or another issue?

When I switched from USB to serial I had much better luck with the machine's operations.  It cleared up just about every odd problem except for the slashing.  I initiallly thought that was fixed as well but I soon found out that it wasn't.  We are really thinking this is an issue with the static charge the vinyl builds up running through the machine.  I have rigged up a way to ground the vinyl roll but it has not been tested enough to determine if it is effective or not.  But I agree with you, switching from the USB to the Serial connection has eliminated just about every problem that I have had with this cutter. 

By random cuts are you talking about the slashing of the vinyl from the end cut to home

Yes.

I had tried everything to fix the static charge when I had the USB connected. I have been cutting since 1pm today and I have not had any errors (except for human errors  ;D)

I have had the slashing happen since I changed from USB to Serial but I will say it doesn't seem to happen very often since the change.  Maybe the serial connection isn't as prone to static problems as the USB connection.  I'm still paranoid about it though.  I think the USB connection is causing a lot of odd and evil things to happen with this plotter, I would not go back to it...

Guest fivestar

I have always used serial connection while having the problems.  I "think" mine is/was due to humidity causing static.  I put an air conditioner upstairs here where I have my equipment and now I have never had a problem cutting long projects and I have noticed hardly any static from sign vinyl.  I can "make" the problem happen anytime I want by putting t-shirt vinyl on my holder and pulling it real hard, the blade on the plotter will slam right down from the static.