Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Any way to recut a project?

I'm making some new numbers for my autocross car and the project didn't cut right. I can't find any way to get it to return to the original origin so I can try to recut the project.

The project consists of a 18" circle with an inside (expand) border and numbers with an inside (expand) border. It cut the circle and border and it cut the numbers but did not cut the border on the numbers.

In hindsight I should have made the number (expand) border outside instead of inside. I have corrected the project but I don't want to keep wasting 18 inches of material every time it doesn't complete the project.

Thanks for any help!

As a follow up I just took another stab at it with the number expand border on the outside and this time it did not cut the circle border. So now I've cut up nearly 4 feet of vinyl that I can't use.

Once I get this design to cut properly I already have to cut it 4 times because one of the borders will be laid down in red and another is black. The numbers are going on white static cling material.

BTW this is using the signblazer software.

It's been awhile since I used SB but I THINK that there is an 'advance after cut' feature that you can disable. This returns the blade to it's original starting point. I could be wrong so try a small cut on some scrap or something.

As a follow up I just took another stab at it with the number expand border on the outside and this time it did not cut the circle border. So now I've cut up nearly 4 feet of vinyl that I can't use.

Once I get this design to cut properly I already have to cut it 4 times because one of the borders will be laid down in red and another is black. The numbers are going on white static cling material.

BTW this is using the signblazer software.

i would like to suggest using a pen in place of the knife to draw or "test cut" your design on paper. that will save you lots of vinyl.

bb

Thanks for the replies.

I unticked the advanced after cut. I redrew my design on a smaller scale. I loaded the pen in place of the cutter and tried to draw the design on paper. Over in the color box on the cutter screen it has a blazer black and a blazer white option. If I cut/draw it with the blazer black selected it cuts the circle and the inline on it. it cuts an outline on the number but not the number. If I cut on blazer white it cuts the number and the outline but just the inline on the circle. If I do blazer black then blazer white it offsets the design on the second cut so it still doesn't come out like it is drawn.

In hindsight I should have started this thread in the Signblazer section.

Moderator please move if you agree.

Okay I got it figured out how to get the project to cut right the first time but I'm still not sure if it would line back up if I tried to recut it.

My problem was I selected two colors, black and white. I did that so the project looked more like what I was trying to achieve.

I got it to cut both color elements by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking blazer black and blazer white. That created a new problem because it added an extra inline and outline to both elements.

To finally get all of it to cut right I had to do the whole thing in black and cut only the blazer black elements.

it just occurred to me that all you raelly needed to do... in the drawing window, was "select all" then select any color you like. this would make the whole drawing one color. then it would all cut as such. but therein lies the rub,... there is always more than one way to do the same thing. it's a windows thing i guess.

bb

it just occurred to me that all you raelly needed to do... in the drawing window, was "select all" then select any color you like. this would make the whole drawing one color. then it would all cut as such. but therein lies the rub,... there is always more than one way to do the same thing. it's a windows thing i guess.

bb

Actually it's an SB thing. I should be able to make a project in as many colors as I want to have it resemble what I want to make. It should cut it just as it looks without adding elements that I haven't drawn. It should also be capable of redrawing the same project without offsetting the lines the second time.

Nothing about this software that came with my machine makes me want to upgrade to PRO! I'd like to see the basic stuff just work.

well at this point there are no upgrades as ther is no way to register the software and htere is no company to buy it from.

bb