Sign in to follow this  
nutmonkey

Apply vinyl the correct way dry with NO airbubbles

I have been struggling with this and I'm not sure if it's the vinyl that I'm using or what. Seems like vinyl cut stickers that I have purchased in the past from others never did this, maybe it's just my imagination. Today I applied a single letter "K" on someones front door for a bridal shower or something, it was fancy looking "K", I doubled layered the vinyl (white background and red foreground). Since it was late afternoon and it's getting cold around here I tried applying it dry and it turned out pretty good but there were more airbubbles than I like on the white, but only the white none was under the red (2 layers of vinyl). I am going to recut the K and apply it wet later this week when I have plenty of daylight just b/c I HATE airbubbles.

The K was 16"x 12" and I am using Oracal 651 Vinyl, is this normal should I use another brand/type of vinyl, etc... I know when I apply it wet it will be virtually bubble free but I wont have this option everytime so I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this issue. Thanks

Did you pre-layer the graphic and then install it?  If you did, air bubbles can easily happen because of the layering making it difficult to apply pressure.  Most air bubbles will be around edges of the layers.

If you did both layers dry and got bubbles, it's improper squeegee technique.  Depending on size, it's either lay it down or back and forth knife cuts.

When I layer, I install the first layer dry and then do the second layer wet.  Or if I pre-assemble it I do it wet.

Ok that makes since since the 2nd layer gets most of the pressure since its on top I guess the bottom layer (white) didn't get enough pressure. I layered the graphic before I applied it, like a day or so before, using registration marks. The graphic itself didn't have any bubbles in it what-so-ever it actually looked really good, just after applying it to the glass door did it get the bubbles. Thanks for the feedback looks like I will be applying this one wet for sure.

It's amazing how 2 mil difference in thickness will allow air pockets to form.  Using a squeegee with a felt edge can help eliminate the problem, but wet app is easier in this case.

Old thread i know, but could someone tell me the best mil thickness for less bubbles and how the heck you get them out!!!!!!