tory

Removing Vinyl from a banner

A client asked about removing vinyl and reusing a banner. Will this work if I use a heat gun and how much would you charge for removing then adding the new vinyl? Is it worth the trouble or better to just start from scratch?

I agree with Josh....I find it cheaper to make a banner from scratch than to reuse...infact depending on how much you would have to remove and than clean up....it would cost MORE to do it the way your customer is suggesting...IMO

Thanks guys, common sense told me this but when he asked if I could I thought maybe I missing something and better check back here. I'm getting ready to go take a look at what he needs. I know he wants a banner and a storefront for a new restaurant opening. He asked if I could price it out for him, I said suuure while thinking o boy here we, jump in with both feet! I've made one storefront (just lettering) but didn't have to install. I think he wants this one installed. Wish me luck, I'm a little nervous about this.

Thanks Frogg, appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I went there Friday and measured the windows and looked at his "banner" he wanted the vinyl removed on. It is a huge (38x142") lighted sign, needs the vinyl removed, that goes up on the building. Since I'm just getting into signs, I don't know what this material is called but it looked like thin (1/4") plastic material. It is quite large and needs the vinyl removed and his new logo applied. He says it is a panel that can be removed after taking out 2 screws. I was thinking, since it is yellow and if it makes sense to remove the vinyl, that I could flip it over and use the other side for the new vinyl? He wants me to come up with a new logo for the restaurant for the front window and this sign, a door sign, and some vinyl on the side windows but not sure what he wants it to say yet. Do you all give ppl a break at a certain point or is it priced the same no matter the amount of vinyl involved for the whole job? And given this isn't a "banner" as he first stated but a white plastic substrate of some sort can the vinyl be removed easily? Or like before it would be more cost effective to just replace that plastic piece? I don't even know where to get that from. He says he is going to use it as a temp sign for a few yrs until he does some remodeling. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

tory, if i was u, i would call a sign supplier and they will walk u thru everything u will need. most of time they don't steer u wrong.

they should have all the answers that u need and the how to fix it. good luck.

btw, this is what i do when i encounter a project that i haven't done.

hope it helps ya.

the vinyl should (not always) come off fairly easily with a heat gun. IT will leave a glue residue which you must also remove because it will collect dirt and turn dark. This can be done with a variety of things.. I use 'goo-gone' myself.

Thanks Nonabelle, I'll have to check into that further.

Banner John, do you know what that substrate is called? Would it work to flip it over after removing vinyl and using goo gone so the backside appears newer?

There is no telling what that could be. Is it hard like plastic or more like coroplast? Either way, I would imagine that flipping it over would be ok as long as you get the vinyl and glue residue off.

It is hard like plastic. It is a lit sign that you see on a building or post. And I'm assuming I can use Oracal 631 for this correct? Ya know, if a heat gun would remove the old vinyl you'd think as a lit sign it wouldn't adhere well? Leave it to me to stumble onto the unknown when just starting out. Challenge seems to be my middle name. Nonabelle might have the right idea, to contact sign supplier. Would Fellers fit the bill or is there a company that supplies strictly outdoor signs? So many questions ......sorry just trying to cover it all BEFORE installing incorrectly. Thanks guys

it could very well be just a sheet of plastic. IN any case, you need to find it locally if you want tio replace it,shipping on something that size won't be cheap.

I wouldnt use 631 for it. I would use at least 651 for it. But if it is backlight and the letters show light through you will probly need transparent vinyl so you can see the color when lit. I havent done a lighted sign but thats what I would probly do.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll def keep them in mind before proceeding further. I'm trying to find a local sign source to price that insert replacement. After talking to them last night they also want a price on a "large banner". He suggested 5x10, I've seen 4x10 used quite a bit. Banner John, or anyone, how much would you charge for simple lettering on a banner such as this? This would be my first banner and I have looked through the banner posts on the forum. The calculator from one post seems high ($300) while I've also seen $159 and a few others. How do you go about being fair but competitive? What would you all charge? BannerJohn I did find your post about the banner source for .50sf, thanks. Also, I saw a banner with a thinner border on the edge. I believe it was Cody's for a Auction. Is that accomplished by applying a straight line of vinyl down ea side and just overlapping the corners? It looked nice, made it complete.