russ@raderwerks.com

Lasercut24 communication and driver issues

Trying to get my Lasercut24 working on my Mac machine using SignCut.  Support articles state that the USB converter is supported out of the box with macs for this plotter and the conversion cable is not needed.

Ive since downloaded the recommended driver however the driver does not show up in the DEVICE DropDown list in cutter settings on SignCut allowing me to select the driver.

Ive perviously had been using another brand cutter for over a year with no issues and rather easy setup.  When I initially opened SignCut and selected the LaserCut from the manufacturer drop down my old driver was present in the drop down list.  I attempted t make a cut using that drive and my MAC crashed.  After restart I have not been able to get any driver to populate in the Device list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I gave up on trying to make the USB work and am using the keyspan adapter and driver.

USB cable needs to be plugged in for it to show up in the Device list of SignCut.

LOL...really ?!  So I need to have the USB cable plugged in for it to work ? 

If there is anyone else that might have some helpful info that would be great.  Its a month later and I pretty much gave up on trying to make it work.  Now I am back at it and I even went to the headache of completely reloading MAC OS from scratch so I knew I was starting with no conflicts etc.

i installed SIGN CUT and then installed the appropriate driver.  Next I go to the CUTTER tab and select the /dev/.....all seems ok.

I load up a design and go to cut and WAMMO.....MAC crashes.

There are several other setting in the CUTTER tab but no where in the manual does it indicate changing any of these settings even though I have tried with no luck.

When you say crash are you talking about a KP (Kernal Panic- "Please restart your computer now..." and it's in like 8 different languages)?

What type of computer are you on? OS? RAM? When you say you reloaded your system did you do an archive install or did you zero out your drive and really start from scratch? I'm not terribly versed in the cutter or software but I am with Macs. I'll try and help however I can.

Yes Kernal Panic if that's what its called.  The screen goes grey and has several different languages stating I must restart.

I reloaded the OS from scratch.  The machine is a G4 with 10.4.6 ram is 512.

I was forced to put Sign-cut on my new MAC BOOK and it works but in an office setting I can't have my main computer (laptop) tied up with cutting tasks when I have a perfectly good (newly refreshed) dedicated cutting computer.

I tried both of the FTDI drivers for Intel and non-Intel machines and the same thing happens.  Just rather frustrating because I had a BRIDGE cutter hooked to this MAC before buying the new US Cutter and had no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to make sure it's not a horsepower issue have you tried cutting something as simple as a small square? You probably have but just wanted to check.

Also maybe try another driver? I wasn't having any luck with the driver that was supposed to work with my setup. So I purchased the keyspan serial to usb adapter and have been working fine. On a whim I tested the usb cable alone using the keyspan driver and I am able to cut. Maybe give it a whirl for giggles? I'll email you the file directly as it is a tiny bit over the allowable size.

LOL...really ?!  So I need to have the USB cable plugged in for it to work ? 

If there is anyone else that might have some helpful info that would be great.  Its a month later and I pretty much gave up on trying to make it work.  Now I am back at it and I even went to the headache of completely reloading MAC OS from scratch so I knew I was starting with no conflicts etc.

i installed SIGN CUT and then installed the appropriate driver.  Next I go to the CUTTER tab and select the /dev/.....all seems ok.

I load up a design and go to cut and WAMMO.....MAC crashes.

There are several other setting in the CUTTER tab but no where in the manual does it indicate changing any of these settings even though I have tried with no luck.

Not trying to state the obvious, but after speaking with several customers on a daily basis, you would be surprised at how many times customers just do not have the USB cable plugged in and they wonder why the driver does not show up in SCX2.

I wonder if we could get this moved back to the Mac forum? Kernal Panics are definitely a Mac specific issue  :-

Thanks for moving it back to the Mac board.  :rolleyes:

I'm still really interested in knowing if the people that are having all the freezing/crashing issues are on non-intel machines. Also interested if the keyspan driver worked. Let us know.