Sign in to follow this  
Realtor

Stopped 2/3 rd's the way through

I am a relative newbie in-fact only about two months of playing, but today I started a job which stopped about 2/3 rds the way through.  The plotter was still on line but nothing. It looked as if signcut was still working or at least the progress bar was still displayed, I waited about 15 minutes before I shut everything down. Is it that I need more computing power, or the way I built the plot? I am using illustrator CS2 via usb with no problems until now, but this was the largest file I have tried by far.  Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"                            Plotter is a CTN 630

Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Maybe try another USB cable, and make sure that it is snug where it plugs in to the cutter (no play). Also, click on the Cutter button, and let me know what you have for the top 3 selections.

Creation, Pcut CTN630E and /dev/cu/usbserial-0000101D.  I also noticed that in this screen it gives a blade offset,(.12)  I did not set that is that a default setting? 

When it stopped it did not create a lot of hardship as I had nested three different cut jobs on the same roll, and it had completed the second and part way through the third is when it stopped.

I doubt I will ever have a single cut that uses 48 inches of vinyl where I would really be upset but you never know.  I was out of the room when it stopped.  I can try another cable and I can run the same job again to see if possibly the vinyl bumped the cable while feeding.

Creation, Pcut CTN630E and /dev/cu/usbserial-0000101D.  I also noticed that in this screen it gives a blade offset,(.12)  I did not set that is that a default setting? 

When it stopped it did not create a lot of hardship as I had nested three different cut jobs on the same roll, and it had completed the second and part way through the third is when it stopped.

I doubt I will ever have a single cut that uses 48 inches of vinyl where I would really be upset but you never know.  I was out of the room when it stopped.  I can try another cable and I can run the same job again to see if possibly the vinyl bumped the cable while feeding.

Yes, that is the default Offset for your model with SignCut. If your cuts are not closing, you could always raise this value until they do.

Keep me posted with the results of another cable.

I redid the job with no problem and the same cable, so who knows!  I am still having the problem of cuts traveling left to right (if standing in front of the machine) which are skipping.  It does not seem to matter what vinyl I use or what pressure setting.  It cuts great the other direction could I have a dull knife?  The letters I cut are 16 inches tall and I am sure weeding is going to be a problem.  I will need to cut these lines manually!  The cut is about only 1/3rd the width it leaves.  The cut is about 1/32nd and the skip is about 1/8th.  It is not only on the font but also on the weeding frame.  This has been a problem I think since my very first cuts.  Any suggestions.

Set the pressure on the cutter to 120 at least, then retract the blade if it is cutting too deep. Do not lower the pressure below 120.

The pressure was already at 125.  I will leave it and try lengthening the knife slightly and see how that works.  It just seems strange that the skipping is only in that one direction!

Thanks for you help.

R

Yes, when I see the jagged cut issue, it would only happen when it cut from left to right. Up and down were fine, as was cutting right to left, but left to right would skip. To resolve, use more pressure, and less blade sticking out.

i found that the 60 degree blade helps to reduce the left to right "zipper" effect. also try slowing the blade speed. i also try to reduce straight left to right cuts in my designs. they are usually only in the weed boxes i put around my designs.

bb

Thanks, I will purchase them tomorrow.  I have been cutting large templates for halloween figures so it has not been important for the last week or so, but it does make smaller decals very difficult to weed.  I have been cutting them out of printable vinyl I get for free and it does not seem to happen on this material like it does on the arlon products I have.

It seems the more you play the greater success you have.

Thanks Again!